Aerial orientation

Basil

I am a newby and seem to have read that the wire aerials should be pointing in different directions. The Storm S603 Spectrum compatable RX has two wires, about 150mm in length exiting parrallel from the RX. How should I lay them out( No manual available).

There is also 2 out puts labelled 'Stat' and 'PPM', and I havent a clue about them,. Can any body offer me some guidance?.

Thanks Barry

Advert

With all 2.4GHz receivers the two antennae should ideally be fixed at 90 degrees to each other, and away from any metal/wire or carbon fibre that might stop them getting a signal. The antenna itself is the silver bit of wire about 30mm long at the end, and they don't have to be adjacent to each other -- just 90 degrees different orientation. I usually attach pieces of plastic tubing to the fuselage to hold the antennae.

PPM is the normal signal used to control servos, but I can't help you with what those two terms mean on your particular receiver. If you post the make, someone should be able to answer that question and/or point you to a manual.

As stated above, the two silvery wire bits need to be at 90 degrees, and clear of any metal or carbon fibre.

The PPM output is a serial train of pulses for channel expansion. Don't worry about it, ignore it! The other one is probably "Sat", not "stat", and is to plug in a satellite receiver. This is not uncommon on Spektrum gear.

--

Pete

PPM is usually a connector for flight controllers eg multirotors, where all the individual servo control signals are chained together and sent along a single connector.

As for 'stat', are you sure it isn't 'SAT'? Spektrum systems often have satellite receivers attached for improved signal reception.

Peter beat me to it!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/04/2020 11:37:20

PPM is the flight controller connection - all the channels in a single connector.

The Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module plugs into a normal servo plug. On genuine Spektrum receivers it is in the main block of servo sockets labelled "BIND/DATA".

Looking at a picture of the S603 it seems that "STAT" is a normal servo connector, so that would seem to be - as Bob says - for the telemetry module.

Spektrum satellites have different plugs. I don't believe the S603 has a satellite connection.