Plans for Bowman 110 ins Sailman

Advert

What was that thing Donald Rumsfeld said about the supposed 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'?

"...there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know."

Bill, applying this to your Simple Sailman, there will be parts you can readily identify, e.g. fuselage sides and wing ribs, if they are pre-cut; so take all those bits out and put them on one side. Now you know what bits you have, and what bits are still required. You know what has to be made, so this has to come from what is left. If you go by what is most likely and number each piece with possible options, you should be able to get most of the way.

Here is picture of a Simple Sailman, albeit electrified, courtesy of the Christchurch and District Model Flying Club website, so it gives an idea what size and shape the parts should be, and the relative proportions.

Bowmans Simple Sailman

Most models follow similar construction methods, i.e. 'D' box wing with top & bottom spars, leading edge, trailing edge, dihedral braces and tip blocks. Fuselage with sheet sides, top & bottom, maybe doublers on the sides at the nose and below the wing plus three formers (nose, wing l/e & wing t/e), tail surfaces could be either sheet, built up or a combination of both.

If the parts are all cut to size, you're laughing; if some have to be cut to size you will have to make some estimates from the picture. The chap who posted the above picture is still listed in the club's current committee, so you could always send a message via the club to see if he would be willing to offer any guidance on mystery parts.

Whilst a plan would be a great help, there is a good chance you could build it without.

Cheers, Robin

I have a system for finding lost things-

1 it's most likely to be where I last used it.

2. If I cannot remember where I last used it or saw it then what is the most logical place I would have last used it.

3. If it's not in 1 or 2 then where would my wife have put it whilst "tidying up" ?   ( Unknown unknown or known unknown? )

4. If it's not in those places it's either been thrown away or hiding in plain sight - that is amongst other similar items and not recognised. That is to say a plan might be hiding amongst other plans or be rolled up with another plan ( most likely??) or put into the wrong magazine or kit box.

5. if it does not turn up quickly then buy another one and sure as anything the original will turn up.

In respect of your lost plan then unless someone offers you a plan then perhaps consider buying the same item on e bay if possible and copying the plan then sell the item on afterwards to recoup the cost.

If you cannot find one to buy on E-bay then it's a rare kit which should fetch a good price so sell your kit on E-bay stating plan is missing and let it be someone else's problem!

Edited By kc on 12/05/2020 10:10:46

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

Have you had any success in finding a set of plans for your model kit, did your exploration in the loft bear fruit.

I’m asking because I find my self in a similar position. An old friend turned his loft out last year and brought the contents including a Simple Sailman part started to our club funday. At the end of the day it was still sat on the grass and some how he talked me into talking it home to my loft!

To cut a long story a bit shorter I’ve decided to complete model as I seem to have the time at present.

My kit is complete including the plans, however the sheets are quite wrinkled and sheet one has at some point been left in the light and had faded badly in some places. A lot of the detail I have managed to re ink in but not all of the notes.

Between the two of us do you think we could come up with a couple set?

Roy

Simple Sailman plan 1

Simple sailman plan 2

Hi Roy.

Thanks for your help, I've not yet found plans. I tried to contact Galaxy models but haven't had a reply, don't know if they are still going. As I've got the building instructions I'm sure we can come up with the necessary bits between us. I'm not at home at the moment , so will send you copies of the building notes when I get back.

Thanks

Bill Morris

Hi Bill

Thanks for the offer, I think I’m good for the building instructions & cutting list. The details I'm short of is on the plan.

There are some additional build notes to do with the wing construction that has faded out.

The Friend who gave me the kit started the fuselage sides ways back, and then left the plans on outs for an age.

RoyMy Bowman Simlpe Sailman Kit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roy, I appreciate your Simple Sailman plan is a bit faded, but it would be really grreat if it could be preserved for posterity and available to other Bowman's fans. Outerzone welcome submissions and a lot oftheir plans have been re-drawn. I've not submitted any myself, but this is what the site says about doing so: Outerzone - Submit a plan

"How do I submit a plan to Outerzone?

If you have a plan you want to submit, that's great. Be aware we have no way to deal with paper copies, so plans must be scanned and emailed. Any format will do: pdf, jpg, tiff, png, whatever you've got is fine. If you are doing the scanning yourself and wondering what settings to use, then a good starting point would be greyscale and 400dpi (although we do have some tutorial pages here if you want to go into more detail). Then just email it here to [email protected] along with any details you have on the designer, year, etc. Also please try and keep emails under 25MB total filesize. Thanks.

If you have files that are too large to email, then we recommend the WeTransfer file service. It's simple, fast and free. Currently (Oct 2017) you can send us files up to 2GB that way."

Hi Robin

I must admit that was my intention at the start, but I’ve been in a conversation in another forum with a Paul from Manchester who is redrawing the plans in CAD. So I’ve held off.

Any idea how much it cost to scan two A3 sheets ?

David I not come across that one yet but who knows what out there img_5197.jpg

Hi Roy, Great to read that you intend to make the plan available. I'm sure there will be a lot of modellers who will be very grateful to you for dong so.

With regard to A3 scanning, I've not had to do any, so I don't know prices. There is software for stitching together A4 scans so that could be an option. Scanning oversize images

The Bowman's Super 100 is a bit like an enlarged Bowman's Simpleton with a longer nose. The original Simpleton nose was too short anyway; mine had a fair amount of church roof in it. I googled 'Bowman's Super 100', and look what turned up wink 2. David Ashby and his Bowman's Super 100!

• 4 months later...
Posted by Roy Thompson on 16/11/2020 16:31:07:

Should have mentioned this a couple of months back, if anyone wants a copy of the plans they are up on Outerzone.

**LINK**

enjoy.

Hi Roy, Thank you for going to the trouble of getting the Simple Sailman plan uploaded to Outerzone. That's another Bowman's plan saved for posterity. I have a soft spot for them as their Simpleton was my first R/C model.

A few questions:

1. What did uploading the plan involve?
  2. Were you able to email in the plan as a set of A4 scans, or did you have to scan the whole plan in one go?
  3. If stitching together of scans was involved, did you have to do this or did they?

As you can probably guess, I have a few plans that are not currently on there and would like to add them.

Cheers, Robin

Hi Robin It was incredibly easy.

First I took the two sheets to my local office printers, they scanned them and emailed them to me for not a lot of money per A0 sheet. I think it was about £3 a sheet and well worth it for the hassle free process.

I then loaded the plans, pictures and supporting material in to a folder in my Dropbox storage and then sent an email to Mary & Steve with a link.

The hardest part of the hole thing was the fun and games the lady in the printers had trying to flatten the edges enough to get the drawing to start in the scanner.

go for it

Edited By Roy Thompson on 16/11/2020 21:05:35