Seeking knowledge

OZ e flyer

Hi everyone. I’m seeking any knowledge I can find on a glider that was made fleetingly for the Aussie airforce during wwII.
I know very little about the DH2 other than it was designed and manufactured in Australia by Dehaviland.

The Australian airforce (RAAF) is celebrating its 100th anniversary next year and there are people looking for information on this glider far and wide as it seems there is very little info on it.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Shane

Advert

Many thanks guys. I’ve been able to find a little more info now. Very short lived machine. 8 made only but it was 1952 when the project finished.

A most curious design that “suction wing”. It appears there was a suction fan in it as well and when operating (suction on) it appears the stall speed was slower. Amazing stuff. Couple more photos below if you’re interested.

thanks again for your help.

Shane

Posted by eflightray on 24/05/2020 18:55:35:

Number 28 -- Ford Mercury V8 engine ?

Perhaps they should have used the engine for propulsion.

I know, what were they thinking carrying around that additional weight in order create a device to fractionally reduce the stall speed?!! Errr.... 😂

Edited By MattyB on 24/05/2020 22:13:03

Posted by MattyB on 24/05/2020 22:12:44:
Posted by eflightray on 24/05/2020 18:55:35:

Number 28 -- Ford Mercury V8 engine ?

Perhaps they should have used the engine for propulsion.

I know, what were they thinking carrying around that additional weight in order create a device to fractionally reduce the stall speed?!! Errr.... 😂

Edited By MattyB on 24/05/2020 22:13:03

The whole thing's barmy.

The one in the cutaway is  an observation aircraft, pilot, observer, and some cameras. What use is an 'glider' observation aircraft that has to be towed to the desired location? And it's the enemy you observe, not your own side. So the plane, the crew, and the film, will fall into enemy hands every time. The people who sent it won't ever get to see the pictures they wanted taken   so what's the point?

And as for that cast iron mooring block of an engine, even with the suction on the stalling speed is higher than the Victa Airtourer me and a mate used to own. Leave that heavy weight out and the stalling speed would probably be less than the stalling speed with all that junk running anyway.

Nuts

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 25/05/2020 10:12:21

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 25/05/2020 10:21:35

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 25/05/2020 10:23:43

I have to admit it was certainly a pretty strange idea.

What started as a cargo carrying glider becomes a spy glider. Strange. I guess they were trying to achieve something for a reason.

The aussie airforce was and I guess still is, very small so bang for buck becomes vital and innovation can sometimes provide that cutting edge advantage......not always though. Lol.

I think we are misinterpreting the suction aerofoil, there was only one glider fitted out and this was to investigate this. It was a research aircraft it was never the intent to fit this as standard to the gliders, it just happened to be a spare aircraft which could be repurposed to test this. Quite common to use existing aircraft to test new ideas.

The principle of sucking the turbulent air to promote laminar flow has be known for some time with various experiment performed in both the UK and even more so in the US.

In theory the power required to do this is relatively small and the benefit great but the practicality of doing so has proved to be difficult.

Probably the most extreme being the two Northrop X-21A (a highly modified Douglas WB 66D) which proved the concept worked giving improved range but the maintenance requirements (the highly polished wing surface had to be kept spotlessly clean) proved impractical for service use.

OZ e flyer

I think if you research the use of gliders in WWII they proved to be effective in specific circumstances by providing the ability to land a concentration of fully equipped troops in a small area. A role that is now taken over by helicopters.

The whole suction wing thing sort of evolved into the blown flap, as per Buccaneer and Mig 21 amongst others:

**LINK**

"Was the use of gliders ever really successful from a military perspective?"

"Man carrying kites" middle ages thru early 1900

**LINK**

Troop drops, WW2

**LINK**

Can't think of many others to be fair.

Does the U2 almost count as a glider?