Dynam hurricane

Old John B

Just bought the above and it doesn't come up to expectations.. Noticed that the flap on one side seemed to be split , then noticed the covering was raised as if there was a wire underneath the other one. Then I twigged, they were hinged using the covering and the first one had at some had pressure on it and it had parted company with the wing.

Joining the wings is going to be interesting. Marrying the two sides together properly will require a certain amount of sanding, cos as it is one can get a large gap either at the front or the back , depending which end you hold together.

Now the most important bit so far, the glue supplied, I have tried it on two spare bits of foam and it still hasn't set after fifteen minutes.

I have been building models for seventy years, so I got this as it seemed the thing for clumsy fingers ! Anybody out there got one and if so what glue did you use

Old John B

All the Dynam models I have had, come with some sort of problem or other. Some I have sent back,some I had replacement parts for etc. Once sorted mine have all flown really well. Its the quality control that lets them down. Can you send it back / have a good whinge?. I always used 5min epoxy to hold them together. Good luck

Thanks for the reply Simon, it is nice to know that I am not the only one who has had problems. Whilst I feel like complaining I know that I can fix it and also I live in Cornwall, which is a long way from anywhere if you want to start sending things back. It is nice to know that the end product will fly well. Once again thanks for the reply.

Old John B

The actual models look pretty good when they are finished. Usually, a couple of servos are duff, the hatch magnets are not lined up or won't hold properly, the wheels are tiny, the ESC may or may not work and is sometimes impossible to programme. I could go on! They are at the "cheap" end of the market, but it still makes me angry that they can get away with selling stuff like that!. Good luck and stay safe!.

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid that Simon is so right. I have contacted the model shop and am awaiting a reply. Further to the wings and the glue, we now have the following.

. The tail unit is supposed to be completely assembled but when I went to take it out of its package I could see that the rudder had parted company with the fin. Not a major disaster ,but,,,,,,,,,we are talking a new model here. The tail unit itself was several mm's too small for the fuselage. A good dollop of fillers either side would cure this, but then you have to paint it.(If it were a full size plane there would be room for a couple of seagulls nests either side.) The lights are already fitted but I thought that before I went any further I'd check them. Oh dear. The port lights are green and the stbd lights are red as are the landing lights. One could cut your way in and unsolder everything but somehow I don't think so!

Bingo, the servos and the landing gear work. Added to this there are dents in the tailplane.

Perhaps I have been unfortunate in the kit that I got , there are those who will say "You are supposed to be a modeller, so fix it.", but I wasn't intentionally buying that sort of kit.. I cant send it back as the tailplane is stuck on and the wings are joined.

It will be interesting to see what the model shop says, in the meantime if you are thinking of buying one ,BEWARE.

Old John B

I have more or less given up with Dynam models, and moved on to Freewing. I am in the process of selling 90% of my IC fleet and going electric. My last few models have come from Motion RC (EU), who must have the best customer services bar none. Recently purchased (free post) the F18 Super Hornet, which was perfect apart from a couple of small dents in the tailplane. No problem, two days later, a replacement arrived from the EU. They mainly deal in the higher end models, but for customer support they are superb.

Mine was a mess as well, the leading edge of the wing beside the wheel well that glues to the other wing was broken off. The fuselage join down the middle wasn't glued together properly, large gap, I had to cut the glue away and reglue it. I had the same issue with the flaps, which are totally wrong, I glued mine shut and filled the gap in, also took the flap servo out and made a plate out of depron to fit in. I read somewhere on another forum there was a big discussion about this and how to make the flaps as they should be, ie just the underneath part of the flap going down, a lot of surgery so I haven't done that yet. As you said about the lights mine were the right way round but with red landing light, I took them out and soldered clear ones in. Plus lots of bad dents all over the wing and with the seam down the fuselage filled in, I decided to respray it with the correct camouflage patten and colour, then sent to Callie to get some decent decals of 85 sqd. I also changed the exhaust pipes, got some from HK for the Mk 5 Spitfire and modified them to look like the proper ones. This is now an expensive model. But as I live in Cyprus there was no way I could send it back the expense would be to much, so i thought what the hell i have it now might as well make it look right. I did complain to Dynam in China, all I got was sorry we can let you have 10% off your next purchase. I told them that no way would I buy another model from them.

Chris

From the description of the flaps, they must have changed this model since I had mine some years ago. There were recesses for flap servos, but none fitted, and the flaps had slots moulded in the top of the wing, but you would have to cut the ends chordwise to make bottom hinged plain flaps. Totally non-scale, so I taped over the slots and blended it in with paint. I could have left it at that, but I performed surgery on the underside and fitted split flaps, albeit without the third centre one. I also carved 3-port exhausts from balsa as the 6-port moulded ones supplied are incorrect for the period, although at least one Hurri flying today has them.

The model looks right, and mine flew pretty well, with plenty of power. I always found it tricky to land, though. I had an elevator servo stop working after a few flights, fortunately during a ground check. The speed controller also behaved strangely, it would be hesitant to run the motor up unless you jiggled the throttle to let the prop spin up. I could have changed it but once running it was fine, and never gave problems in the air.

I was able to live with these issues because I bought mine cheaply at a show. I probably wouldn't buy another Dynam, which is a shame as they have modelled some interesting types (Marauder, Black Widow etc.). I would agree with the positive comments about Freewing/Motion RC. Hobbyking's Durafly and Avios models are also pretty good, I've had several with few problems.

Yes they did try to update things I think they called it a V1 or something like that. They also changed the esc to cure the fault you mentioned. It had a servo in each wing for the flaps which bent the top part of the wing , this part had a V cut underneath to allow it to bend very bad idea as it split after a while, that's why I filled mine in , I cut a V shaped piece of depron glued it in and used filler to finnish it off. Also I had a problem with one of the retracts, apparently that's another fault, so I later learned. Someone on Utube done a video on how to fix it..

Chris

Trevor, I have the Dynam Hellcat and my ESC acted that way. I did a factory reset as per a vdieo I was pointed to on Utube (I think) and it was perfect after that. I think the timing was set wrong. My retractsworked but the wire was so soft that even very good landing bent them.

John

Just before the lockdown, I bought a Dynam Waco biplane. I'm singularly unimpressed.

I'm not a huge fan of foamies, but I have a Durafly Komet and Spitfire, and they are excellent. Everything fitted, and they fly well.

With the Waco, not one of the aerodynamic surfaces was true. The fin and rudder were bent like bananas out of the box, the elevators were both twisted, and the upper starboard wing has a pronounced droop, which stops the strengthening spar from locating properly!

I've only flown it a couple of times. Its okay-ish, but certainly not what I would expect for the money! I've had one slightly heavy landing - not enough to cause any damage other than dislodging completely that spar in the upper wing!

I will not be buying anything else from Dynam!

--

Pete

There are some glowing reports for their biplanes. Based on this, I bought an Albatros. Wings warped like a propeller, but also in the horizontal plane, especially the horizontal stab, bent along the hinge-line like a scimitar, impossible to hinge... Sent it back (many thanks to a real model shop!).

I risked a look at a used Moth.. same shaped wings... gave up. The planes appear to be painted foam. I wondered if the paint had caused the fairly severe warping.

I guess that there are good examples out there and that they can fly well.

Certainly kills the theory that some folk have that "all makes of foamy come out of the same factory".

I love foam warbirds, the finish and general quality has improved tremendously over the years. My modelling abilities and patience don't stretch to building my own Spitfire, so I bought the Avios one and really enjoy pretending to be Ray Hanna. I don't mind the material it's made from, the real one wasn't made from balsa either!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Dynam Hurricane off a club member who was giving up to go full size flying. For the money I paid for it, I think it was good value, however I did have to put a little money and effort in to get it up to some sort of standard.

I bought high brightness LED s from EBay at a couple of quid for a pack of ten, in white, green and red. I swapped out the nav lights which were the wrong way around and also replaced the red landing lights for white. I put some carbon strip, on edge, in front of the wheel well to help strengthen this area. The scale split flaps were simulated by hollowing out the foam and putting four pieces of balsa, hinged, into the recesses. A single servo each side actuates them.

It does fly in a scale manner although landings are tricky, with nose overs being the norm.

I would much prefer for it to fly more like my Durafly Spitfire (bought from the same source) which is smaller and appreciably lighter and seems to be of a better quality.

Clive.

Very nice, I see you put the Hobbyking Mk5 exhaust on it , like I did, far better. Do you use the flaps, as some of the reports say you don't need them , so I haven't done that, I have ordered some sprung oleo legs from Banggood. They have been recommended by people who have fitted these to there model to help with landing on rough ground. What battery are you using,  and how do you find the C.G some have had to put weight in the nose .

Chris

Edited By DIGGER on 28/06/2020 09:05:22

The exhausts were 3D printed by a mate - the files are on thingyverse.

I cannot comment on the non-using of the flaps as I have always employed them for landing. This still has not prevented the dreaded nose over, though - perhaps I should belong to a club with a tarmac strip! Lol.

Sprung oleos are a good choice. Let us know how you get on.

If you search for hurricane at Llantrisant common on Youtube there is a self shot video of the Hurri on there.. warts and all, lol.

Clive.

My Waco:

Note the droop in the starboard upper wing, and the protruding mainspar! And that was before I flew it!

I managed to straighten the fin and rudder (mostly) by ironing, but the twist has crept back in the rudder. The elevators are also slightly twisted.

The main spar on the upper wing completely came adrift on the second flight, when I landed a little heavier than intended. Not a really heavy landing, and no other damage. But a main spar dropping out?!?

To get it back in, I will have to remove the whole upper wing and straighten it, somehow. And lord knows what glue to use - epoxy? The spar seems to be aluminium.

This kit is total junk!

--

Pete

Hi all, I'm still waiting to finish mine, as I said before I am supposed to be a modeler so I decided to fix the faults myself but the one thing I wasn't going to fix was the tail unit. (Too small if you remember). Well a fortnight ago I contacted the model shop and returned the unit for a replacement. Posted it on the Monday first class, rang on the Thursday and it seems that they really didn't know it was there , found it whilst I was on the phone. I'm still awaiting the replacement . The story is, its the corona virus. The distributor is down from 15 to 2 people dealing with orders., so things are a bit slow!!!!! I am old enough to remember the second world war when if someone made a hash of things the phrase was "It's the war you know!"

I bought the thing from a what appeared to be a large model shop on the net. I am hoping that I live long enough to get it finished and fly it but one thing is certain, this model shop and Dynam, never again!!!!!!!

Old John B

Peter, that's very bad, like you said may have to be scrapped , what a shame. Old John B, customer service has really gone down the pan except for a few, it's the society we live in now, when you find a good one you tend to stay with them, but I'm afraid a lot will go out of business now with this virus. Good luck hope you do get to fly it.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi old John B , this is the norm for this model I've heard some have had to put 8oz in, depends on battery weight and esc which some have uprated. And I have read that the recommended cg is wrong as well, but I don't know by how much I will have to look it up.

Chris

It seems the cg is right getting the balance is the tricky part, you don't want to put it under the nose ,as it will stop the airflow to the esc. One person added a lot of weight by putting a heavy brass nut on the hub. Some have put lead in the pockets that are inside the battery compartment. Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Digger , it seemed an awful lot of weight for one so small. I shall amuse myself for some little time now, chopping some lead to put in those little pockets. Years ago used to use lead shot, that made things easy but ran out of that some time ago.

Old John B