Help! New aerial for Spektrum Rx.

I acquired a Spektrum 6 channel AR620 rx.

It has one short grey aerial and the other missing.

Having opened the case and got the circuit board out I can see the stub of a grey coaxial lead of about 1.5mm thickness. It is not easy to see where the inner solders to. The outer is soldered to one or both of 2 locations marked A2. A1 being the good aerial.

I have a replacement coaxial aerial from a Graupner rx.

Does anyone have experience of soldering in a new spektrum aerial?

Correction...

The Rx is a AR-610 X.

I have soldered on the lead to the 2 pads marked A2.

On binding, it works OK, but will the range be normal.

If a range check works at 30 metres, does this mean both aerials are good, or would the rx pass this test with one aerial anyway?

My plan is to use the rx in a small foam powered glider which should stay within 500 feet.

I have a couple with aerials missing, but I only use them for testing in the workshop, and running my throttle servo on the test bench.

I just think for what they cost, it's not worth risking a model, or a flyaway, on a potentially "dodgy" repair.

Don't take offence, I am not dissing your soldering skills in any way, but if you are worried about range don't use it outdoors.

D.D.

On some Spektrum Rx one lead is the antenna and the other is a ground plane. If it’s the ground plane a good look at the track layout will show that it appears to be connected to negative (The ground plane on the PCB).

Steve says they should be 31mm long but my memory says 29mm, I’ll have to check now! To me 31mm would include 2mm to solder onto the pad!

I have an AR510 or 520 (I forget) that has spent six months of its life stamped into a field and with home made antennas. Amazingly it tests to full range! Nevertheless it’s strictly not for flight.

Edited By Shaunie on 14/06/2020 09:44:57