Sanwa old 35mhz servos

Rogeo1983

hi all,

i have written on a previous thread how I am returning to model rc flying and building after a 20 year absence. I still have my very old sanwa vanguard 35mhz gear, and unless I keep myself flying, I am not going to spend the time and money investing in new gear. My old stuff works fine.

one kit I am looking at building is from plans, and it has a single servo in each wing box for the ailerons. It mentions mini servos. Are these possible to buy and use with my old gear? I’m guessing that I will have to have my aileron output from the receiver split to each servo, but is this possible?

the model has a complete fuselage with wings and tail plane removed for transport.

here is my current receiver and servos.

i have multiple crystals for this gear, enough for 5 new models!

as I build more models, I may well just upgrade to modern equipment, so I can use one controller for all my gear.

any thoughts?

cheers

img_1237.jpg

Mini servos should work fine. You will need a splitter cable ('Y' to take your aileron output to the two servos.

Make sure that the +ve feed is on the middle pin of the receiver, which it looks like it does in the photo.

Some old Sanwa's did not as I found out to my cost and burnt a servo out.

The only other possible problem is if the actual servo plugs don't match the sockets but really should be O.K.

Hi Rogeo,

I too came from Sanwa and only broke with them when 2.4ghz came along, when I went to the Futaba 6EX system.

It looks to me as if you have taken care of your radio. After the same amount of time mine is looking decidedly grubby! You may find yours is okay but of course give it a good test before flying... range check and so on. One good thing from the past is that you will have learned how to set up a model on the model itself and not relying on model memory in the transmitter. That is a good habit to maintain - as I found out when I converted to a modern system.The 6EX is an 'entry level' system with only 6 model memories.

I assume you will be flying as part of a club, in which case you will find a lot fewer occasions when frequency clashes occur, because the majority now fly 2.4ghz. So that's another benefit of staying with your old gear for a while.

Nothing wrong with using old gear, it doesn't usually deteriorate if stored in dry conditions.

I would recommend replacing all the battery packs, however. These can and will lose capacity through lack of use. Also check carefully for "black wire" corrosion, which despite its name, happens on the negative lead regardless of colour! Have a good look at the transmitter negative lead and connections especially, as these are generally not so visible or accessible as the receiver ones. Carefully take the back off the tranny and have a good look!

If all looks good, the only other thing to do is to move all the sticks and servos *slowly* from one end to the other. This will show up any rough spots on the pots left by lack of use. Usually a few good wiggles will clear them, but check by moving them slowly.

Finally, a standard aerial down range check, and if it passes, you are good to go!

Have fun!

--

Pete

Hi again,

I have received new batteries, and checked all of the wiring. Surprisingly there is no black wires, they look pretty good, and very little voltage drop at every end of the wires.

Paul regarding the servos, where can I buy mini servos? I have bought a second hand 35mhz receiver, which comes with 4 servos, but I will need to add a y connector, and the new servos.

Would the connectors fit into these sanwa receivers?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers

As Pete says, black wire corrosion associated with damp storage. If anyone needs to engage in storage of models in an outbuilding or similar, the best precaution is to remove the battery and store it indoors as the battery is where the dreaded black wire corrosion originates.

I've often wondered whether we we should have standardised on switching the negative wire rather than the positive side - that would tend to protect the wiring and components, in bad cases, beyond the switch.