Model Conversion

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/06/2020 15:23:12:

Derek, I'd be looking at an 800W 4 cell setup, 4-Max have various recommended setups so pick a model of similar size and weight, Wot 4 or Crescent Bullet maybe, and this should give you a starting point. A hatch will be needed to fit the battery pack as removing the wing to do so is a right pain.

Sorry, I think that was what is referred to as a brainfart, an OS 40 would be more like 400-600W depending on model and how it was propped!

Bob's 2nd post is more like it!

Super Robot is 60 inch span isn't it? And it's a bit like a trainer so the sort of motor used in a Super 60 might be whats needed. Depends on weight though.

Getting the lipo near to the front to avoid using lead may be the key. The old Ic motors with bearings and all the weight just behind the prop may weigh the same as an electric motor and Lipo but where the weight is very different. Maybe the nose could be extended a little? I suggest a 'lashup' of electric motor and Lipo attached roughly to the front instead of the OS 40 might be a good idea. Probably you could use an ESC with BEC instead of nicad for the RX, but if a good Rx nicad is available then it might help CG.

The old radio might be OK but the batteries might be suspect and you need to check for black wire corrosion on the radio plus switch harness.   Consider the cost of a new TX nicad for the Sanwa compared to the cost of a basic 2.4 ghz modern radio which will have more memories, functions etc in even a basic model.

Edited By kc on 27/06/2020 11:33:04

Edited By kc on 27/06/2020 11:37:02

The S/Robot weighs 5lbs without fuel. I’m hoping to fly it using new RadioLink TxRx using the existing Sanwa servos with changed plugs. It’s reasonably clean and the only mod was to take out the dihedral for better aeros. I’ve Overlander 445W brushless motor, ECS and LiPo battery with 11x5.5 prop.

I also have a Flair Puppeteer to convert to 2.4Gh, (it sounds good with the 4str engine), and a Top Flight Corsair in build.

I’m not a beginner, just many years out of date!

Any thoughts you have are gratefully received.