Gluing laser cut kits

Advert

No, I do not.

I guess some argue that there could or will be some residual dust or ash from the cutting process.

Although I have never considered the possibility, nor have I observed any dust, which may be present, I have never noticed it. The box the kits come in do not seem to have any dust in the bottom either.

If there is any dust, I would argue it is trivial, to an extent that the PVA just incorporates it into the joint, without any issue. Likewise with Cyno.

I guess all sorts of arguments ca be made from die cutting and routing, I believe I would remain unconvinced of any problem.

I have a small number of models built from laser cut kits. To-date I have no joint failures as far as I am aware.

A reasonable practical test is to take one of the scrap pieces (which has been cut),from the supporting sheets, then glue it edge on, onto a bit of scrap. After the assembly or assemblies have dried, pull them apart. I would suggest a straight pull on one, on another, a shearing, torque type of load.

What matters did the joint fail, or the wood adjacent to the joint. If the joint fails, it matters, if it is the adjacent wood, it does not matter. Adhesives like PVA rely mostly on penetrating the wood for a small distance, when the wood fails it proves the glue has penetrated, and the wood has less strength than the glued joint.

A real test is always much better than hypothesizing.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/07/2020 16:34:53

Thanks Erfolg, some test pieces were what I intended with different adhesives. In fact, I did one a little while ago but wasn't too impressed and being a doddery old twit, I can't remember which glue I used!

Martin, I did spot that and will get hold of a bottle and do some tests. Another glue to add to my armoury.