Help! Can't charge my Lipo

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 11/07/2020 21:21:42:
Posted by Mike Blandford on 11/07/2020 16:06:00:

You haven't mentioned what radio gear you are using. Many modern radios include telemetry back from the model. With suitable sensors you can get the flight pack voltage and the motor current displayed (and even spoken). This may well avoid the need for a wattmeter. I have one, but haven't used it for a long time as I use the telemetry.

Recently I've started using FrSky Neuron speed controllers with FrSky radio gear. The Neuron has built in sensors and sends voltage, current, RPM, capacity used and temperature back.

Mike

Telemetry is all well and good if you are prepared to buy and fit the necessary sensors or the type of ESC you describe to each and every model and it can be fully justified as opposed to it being just a fancy and unnecessary additional gizmo.

Each to their own, but I also prefer not to have too many potential distractions when I’m flying! I prefer to pay attention to what I and the model are doing rather than be tempted to pay undue amounts of attention to the transmitter.

Also, for some, a wattmeter, being a universal device, is simpler, perfectly adequate and probably more cost effective especially if you only fly models that are already set up or fitted with the recommended components which should not need in-flight monitoring.

Beginners are also better off with simplicity than complexity, in my view.

I'm far from a beginner but I don't bother with telemetry at all and don't intend to, even though my chosen make of radio (Multiplex) was the first 2.4 radio to have it and it was inbuilt from day one..

It's just gizmology.

I've been flying RC since the 1960s and have never had a radio caused crash. Or "You are using 60 amps and the RPM is 9 thousand." So what?

PS: Why do they have rev counters on automatic cars?

Posted by David Ramsden on 12/07/2020 23:55:26:

Well I guess this thread is drawing to a close now. It's been an education. I've learned a lot about lipos, charger use, and performance monitoring gadgets. And as a small bonus, I got my esc to apply its brake without any trouble at all. Once I had her (my new Kloudrider) trimmed to glide at minimum sink rate I even discovered that it's possible to slope soar without a slope(!). But that's another story...

Thank you everyone!

David

20.jpg

That's real nice

David

What a beauty!

Another one on my to do list, I think.

I also went flying yesterday and two members were having a discussion regarding a new Radian that was wind milling.

'You need an esc programming card, I have one at home which I will bring next time'

So having just read up on how to do this I was able to explain how to do it using the sticks. Amazingly it worked first time and he was dead chuffed. I was also pleased but this made me think are all esc programmed the same and indeed are they all made in the same factory and badged for different suppliers? But then as you say that is another story.

You are welcome!

Steve

Posted by EarlyBird on 13/07/2020 07:29:50:..........

I also went flying yesterday and two members were having a discussion regarding a new Radian that was wind milling.

'You need an esc programming card, I have one at home which I will bring next time'

So having just read up on how to do this I was able to explain how to do it using the sticks. Amazingly it worked first time and he was dead chuffed. I was also pleased but this made me think are all esc programmed the same and indeed are they all made in the same factory and badged for different suppliers? But then as you say that is another story.............

Steve

Steve

To answer your questions -

No, all ESCs are not made by the same manufacturer, but some factorys do make the same ESCs with different badges for different "brand names".

Most ESCs follow the same "throttle high at connection" to enter the programming mode, but the tones and programming sequence that follow may vary with products from different manufacturers, and possibly even between different models from the same manufacturer.

It is important to read the manual for whatever product you have if using "stick programming".

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 13/07/2020 10:11:01

David

Be careful of going too far down the "I wonder how long it can fly for" route. You will likely discover that with the right modifications an electric plane can be made to fly for longer than you want to fly.

I did at just over 2 hours and it could have been longer. It was an interesting exercise although I had a stiff neck the next day!

Posted by David Ramsden on 12/07/2020 23:55:26:

Well I guess this thread is drawing to a close now. It's been an education. I've learned a lot about lipos, charger use, and performance monitoring gadgets. And as a small bonus, I got my esc to apply its brake without any trouble at all. Once I had her (my new Kloudrider) trimmed to glide at minimum sink rate I even discovered that it's possible to slope soar without a slope(!). But that's another story...

Thank you everyone!

David

20.jpg

Edited By David Ramsden on 12/07/2020 23:59:09

Edited By David Ramsden on 13/07/2020 00:06:36

Wow that is a lovely glider, enjoy flying it and happy landings!

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 13/07/2020 00:50:12:
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 11/07/2020 21:21:42:
Posted by Mike Blandford on 11/07/2020 16:06:00:

You haven't mentioned what radio gear you are using. Many modern radios include telemetry back from the model. With suitable sensors you can get the flight pack voltage and the motor current displayed (and even spoken). This may well avoid the need for a wattmeter. I have one, but haven't used it for a long time as I use the telemetry.

Recently I've started using FrSky Neuron speed controllers with FrSky radio gear. The Neuron has built in sensors and sends voltage, current, RPM, capacity used and temperature back.

Mike

Telemetry is all well and good if you are prepared to buy and fit the necessary sensors or the type of ESC you describe to each and every model and it can be fully justified as opposed to it being just a fancy and unnecessary additional gizmo.

Each to their own, but I also prefer not to have too many potential distractions when I’m flying! I prefer to pay attention to what I and the model are doing rather than be tempted to pay undue amounts of attention to the transmitter.

Also, for some, a wattmeter, being a universal device, is simpler, perfectly adequate and probably more cost effective especially if you only fly models that are already set up or fitted with the recommended components which should not need in-flight monitoring.

Beginners are also better off with simplicity than complexity, in my view.

I'm far from a beginner but I don't bother with telemetry at all and don't intend to, even though my chosen make of radio (Multiplex) was the first 2.4 radio to have it and it was inbuilt from day one..

It's just gizmology.

I've been flying RC since the 1960s and have never had a radio caused crash. Or "You are using 60 amps and the RPM is 9 thousand." So what?

PS: Why do they have rev counters on automatic cars?

Some telemetry is more useful than others. It certainly isn't "gizmology". If you're flying electric powered models then a knowledge of how much battery capacity you've consumed is a far better guide to when you should be thinking about landing than a simple timer. As Mike said, if you're a FrSky user, the Neuron ESCs have much telemetry built in, so no need for extra sensors and cabling. And they're not expensive. Also, as a glider pilot I fit all my sailplanes with telemetry to tell me altitude and vertical speed (i.e. vario). None of this stuff needs to take your attention from the model as it's child's play to program a switch to announce it.

Tim.

Posted by EarlyBird on 13/07/2020 12:48:47:

As a novice I thought telemetry was cheating.

Steve

smiley

On the other hand, a single telemetry sensor gives me all that a Wattmeter will, plus a lot more - and will also do it while the plane is in the air as well as on the ground.

Is a Wattmeter cheating?

Dick