Sid King's novice e

Advert

If you have a 12volt gel cell to run a starter etc for ic. engines then you coud utilise it to power a balance charger to recharge the Lipos at the field. I found my 7 amp hour gel cell gave 2 and a half charges of a 3S2000.

If the Novice E has room it would be better to standardise on 3S2200 for both that and the Moon Dancer2 rather than the smaller 1300mah suggested by 4Max. Then can be used on either model and give longer flights than the 1300mah.

Hi LHR, Yes I agree, throttle manage ment is the way to go. Have any details available re own design ailerons for Novice e ? Thanks.

KC. I do have that very same size gel cell for my ic engines, and as a coincidence, I have two 3s 2200 lipos available to use (from a failed project some time ago.) Thanks again

Nice one Dai, got it. Another query from an electrically challenged oap. The motor I intend to use (as it's the only one I have lol) is slightly bigger than recommended. It is, D2830/11, 1000kv. Reading the spec for recommended prop and lipo reads. Lipox2/10x7, and Lipox4/8x4. Does this mean 2cell, and 4cell lipos ?

Edited By fly boy3 on 24/08/2020 20:31:54

Hi FB3,

From the HK site for your motor the spec is :-

D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor

Specs:

Rpm/V: 1000kv

Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~4S (7.4v to 14.8v)

Weight: 52g

Watts: 210w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 30A
Suggested Prop: 8x4 (4S) ~ 10x7 (2S)

The suggested props are a range from 4S to 2S so for 3S a 9x6 would suit. This is in line with 4-Max recommendations for a nearly identical motor.

Motor PO-2830-980 £25.49 -980.html >**LINK**
ESC 4M-ESC30A £17.95 0a.html >**LINK**
Prog Card 4M-PROGCARD £ 9.50 0a.html >**LINK**
Prop PP-FPROP9x6 £ 4.49
-props-grp.html >**LINK**
Spinner P-FSPIN**-40 £ TBA
-spinners-ali.html >**LINK**
Battery PPL-40C3S-1300 £12.99 tm >**LINK**

Not a problem at all?

Cheers beer

Steve

FB3

EarlyBird has beaten me to it , I was going to say that you will be able to use your 3s lipo,s. I would suggest that what ever set up you try make sure you test it with a Watt meter first so as not to exceed the ratings of the Motor and ESC.

If you have not got a watt meter , they can be purchased very cheaply online. varying the prop size can have a massive influence on the amount of current drawn, with a bit of tweaking you will obtain the perfect setup. As always I am no expert but just simply go by the ratings of components and the watts per pound rule. I am not sure what my Novice produces but can check when home (im back at work again this morning) I think I was getting around 130 Watts per pound.

As I said when i get the chance I will give you the exact weight of the model and the power figures.

Dave

Although understandable, I think there may be a little confusion here. The power set up I gave first, the one recommended by 4max, was for the 50" 3ch Ben Buckle Novice, originally designed for ic, which I've now converted to electric. Designed by Sid King and originally sold by his company, it was called Cotswold Miss.

The plan for Novice E, again by Sid King, is similar, but at 40" is obviously physically smaller and specifically designed for electric power was published in 2015. This is the one fly boy3 is interested in.

Fly boy3, I don't know enough about the dark art to comment on the suitability of your motor, others here are far more knowledgeable. What I can say is that if you are planning to fit ailerons, 3S is the way to go. The size of that 3S lipo in mAh will depend on how the model balances and how much room you have in the model to move the lipo around to get the CG in the right place. 3S x 1300mAh seems a good start point.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 25/08/2020 11:39:53

Here is my Novice data:

Ben Buckle kits Novice , Wingspan 50"

Converted at build to take electric power.

Wing dihedral decreased (no data) and ailerons added, aileron length 19"

Power system motor: BRC Hobbies A2814-8T 1000kv

ESC: BRC 40A with 2A BEC

Prop: Graupner CAM Folding Prop 10x6

Battery: 3s Lipo 2200mah

All up weight of model 2lb 6oz

System produces 305 Watts @ 25A

If my maths are correct it returns 127 Watts per pound.( please correct me if wrong )

Dave