Topflite GS P47 Build

Harrier Mate

OK... so I know we are really meant to focus on one build at once but I can't wait any longer to set about a Topflite GS P47 Thunderbolt that I picked up years ago at the BMFA Nationals from TJD Model for a bargain price as a discontinued kit.

Its been sitting in the attic ever since and a recent house move made me sell lots on eBay... but couldn't part with the Jug!

So in parallel with my Flair Fokker DVII, Here goes!

Advert

I decided that I want to build the razorback version and have been waiting patiently (weeks!!!) for the canopy and fibreglass cowlings from Fibreglass Specialities in US, together with the robart retracts from Tower Hobbies.

According to USPS Tracking, they have cleared UK customs and will be delivered early next week. It feels like waiting for Christmas!!

img_4895.jpgScaled up the line drawings to 1:5.75, the exact scale of the model to review the models outline in comparison to the real profile.... Topflite has done a pretty good job as the attached photos of the fin/rudder and tailplane/elevator show. Ive already decided on self adhesive aluminium foil to make the layered reinforcement of leading edge skin for elevator and rudder.

img_4896.jpg

P47's always fly well but in the case of a big one like this moving the fuselage can be a bit like trying to move a beached whale!

Dont know what power plant you are looking at but i have sold a bunch of 300s and 360v's for these over the years with very positive reviews from customers so any equivalent 45-60cc class power plant will do the job nicely.

Dont get too worried by the weight. Clearly you dont want it to be a total porker, but 20-22lbs will be no bother at all.

I would use 6.5kg servos on all primary controls (perhaps 9kg if using a single elevator servo) but make sure you use 9kg or so on the barn doors that call themselves flaps.

Should be awesome once done.

Can't say I always wanted one of these, but when I decided at the beginning of lockdown to build my first warbird and asked here for advice, the P47 was highly recommended. Being intimidated by the plans route, the TF GS P47 was what I tried to find, but alas not one anywhere to be had. I had a real hankering for a Laser twin and so the model also met my desire on that front too. All the best with your build and I look forward to following your journey.

Well..... first hiccup! Having waited a month for delivery of the ‘Fiberglass Specialities’ glass fibre cowl from the States, it arrived massively distorted in a half crushed thin cardboard box!!! Not sure whether application of heat whilst bracing it to the correct shape will work. The rep from Fiberglass Specialities simply said ‘let me know how you get on’!!!

anyone know of any reputable glass fibre cowl manufacturers here in UK?????

on a positive note.... the robart retracts arrived, well packed and Undamaged!

I'm finishing off one of its little brothers at the moment (1/7 scale). I am currently the third owner of the "part finished" kit. I was given it because the second owner hadn't realised what a mess the original owner had made of it ! Needless to say it is now a "semi scale" model.

With regards to your squashed cowl. I would advise bracing it in its correct shape and gently warming it to about 80 degrees C and then let it cool down slowly (after you have cooked the roast). As it is a relatively fresh moulding you should be in with a chance, but don't use excessive, or localised heat on it. this will distort it even more.

Edited By kevin b on 17/09/2020 20:59:47

Thanks Kevin.... I was thinking just that.... with a hairdryer first to see if that even starts to cure the problem... and if that fails, using a wallpaper stripping hot air gun, whilst carefully ensuring I don’t generate any local heat spots. If that doesn’t work, the only solution is probably to make up the cheap and nasty ABS plastic cowl provided!

Depending how crushed it is there shouldn’t be much trouble bracing it out . If the inside is “raw” and not finished glass as I would expect . You could give it a good coat of epoxy and possibly add a bit of very light glass matting then cover with cling film and brace it . It will then harden in the correct shape.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 18/09/2020 07:48:55

Posted by Harrier Mate on 17/09/2020 21:30:09:

Thanks Kevin.... I was thinking just that.... with a hairdryer first to see if that even starts to cure the problem... and if that fails, using a wallpaper stripping hot air gun, whilst carefully ensuring I don’t generate any local heat spots. If that doesn’t work, the only solution is probably to make up the cheap and nasty ABS plastic cowl provided!

I used the supplied cowl. If you decide to use that you will need to do some filling. I used a fine automotive 2 pack stopper as it is reasonably flexible and doesn't shrink like acrylic. do it in layers, rather than in one lump.

Thanks for the info reference the ABS cowl... I had heard all sorts of horror stories about it. What did you use to glue it together?????

All credit to ‘Fiberglass Specialities’. I sent them some photos of how the cowl arrived and the packaging.... and they immediately said they will make and send another, appropriately packaged. Can’t complain at that.

but having the abs version too will be useful as a spare and to practise the likely chequerboard paint scheme!

• 3 weeks later...

accf5a46-e1fa-46d6-a068-80cb5b21d909.jpege6d2ac06-1812-4f13-86e8-f7981dac3225.jpeg0fe2bf7e-85c1-4e09-91b5-2722ad5fcfeb.jpegWheeeeeee! Looked what just arrived in the post from Fiberglass Specialities in the US. Craig Schmidt has been an absolute star. The first cowl I ordered arrived squashed and distorted due to damage in transit. Despite my best efforts I could not re-shape it to its original shape. Craig immediately made another and posted it out within 48 hours.

it arrived this morning in pristine condition. Absolutely delighted with the quality and detail. Great level of service and customer care! I would highly recommend the quality of their products and the value for money.

now I can properly get on with building!