Skybug One

Lindsay Todd

I did add a 😉 concerning the gyro.

On the other hand I am not keen on white knuckle rides so when I maiden an own design with un proven aerodynamics I do fit a gyro but in rate mode so no positive stabilisation. Hopefully this slows down the plane reactions enough for my 'old age' eye/hand coordination to keep up. 

1 minute ago, Simon Chaddock said:

I did add a 😉 concerning the gyro.

On the other hand I am not keen on white knuckle rides so when I maiden an own design with un proven aerodynamics I do fit a gyro but in rate mode so no positive stabilisation. Hopefully this slows down the plane reactions enough for my 'old age' eye/hand coordination to keep up. 

First time I enabled a gyro in flight, the model went crazy.

Memo to self, ensure gyro moves control surfaces in the right direction before flight!

Hopefully this next week I can get the remaining work done and then get a final weight and assess the power setup properly, i am hoping to run on 3 cell lipo but there is space for 4 cell if required but the model has not been on the scales yet and the CG may need a little assistance in the nose as I want to be slightly forward of the mathematical position at least for the first flights. Hopefully we can be in excess of 125 watts per pound with a 11-12 inch prop. I have a 710watt 900kv sat on the shelf ready pending final weight checks, i am hoping just over half that would be enough. Linds

Edited by Lindsay Todd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ideal day for a test flight all complete checked and ready, final motor configuration updated to an Overlander thumper 900kv throwing a 14x6 prop at just under 400 watts and an all up weight of just on 4lb. An hours trip down to my test flight site, and a further check over and all the static shots done.

1064902717_SkybugAway1.thumb.jpg.76da5e2b32ac66bc9477dae9e05ca92a.jpg

with no more excuses left i lined up for the first flight, good acceleration, V tail rudder working fine, up to flying speed and eased back on the elevator

1972561844_SkybugAway.thumb.jpg.1a68bd0761c43c47009caaec235f5e1a.jpg

As the model rotated it was clear something was wrong with the ailerons so with an inch or two off the ground i chopped the power. On inspection the left hand aileron servo had stripped its gears and explained the sudden loss of feel, any further and it could have been far more serious but so frustrating as from the photo above it was so nearly there but we can't yet claim a successful first flight.

On the plus side, I was able to satisfy myself re power, rudder and elevator authority. it will be a couple of weeks now before i get another chance but this is what test flights are all about and just grateful the brain was able to react so fast to something having happened so suddenly.

The servos were a couple of mini Hitec mini nylon gear items, I will upgrade both i think even though the load has not been the route cause, might have got knocked in transit and the cold will not have helped I guess. 

Linds

• Like 2