Insta360 Camera Mounted to DHC Turbo Beaver (Near Disaster!)

Pete Pilot

Hey guys, the other day I mounted an Insta360 to my DHC Turbo Beaver and got some extremely cool footage.

I even captured an amazing close call when I rolled inverted forgetting the takeoff flaps were still down... heart stopping moment, buzzed my neighbors house!

Anyway just wanted to share, happy to hear any thoughts or questions.

https://youtu.be/7IeW_keOCCw

Cheers!

Advert

What a fabulous location! Where is it?

For me, the fact that the image stays upright due to the stabilisation make all the difference. Are there other cameras that can do this? Especially ones that maybe don't have the 360 facility so that more aerodynamic installation is possible.

Have you got floats for your Beaver - you should have!

Levanter

Hey Levanter, I’m up in Norway (just south of Molde, if you look at a map). Originally from the US but married a Norwegian and moved here a few years ago. The view never gets old and the location is pretty great for model flight. (Few issues: Saltwater, trees, houses, lack of flat areas and bumpy tall grass... but I’mconstantly improving the airfield).

Regarding your camera question, there is an Insta360 Go which is much smaller/lighter and has this stability feature, the difference is it doesn’t capture 360 degree video. Lots of people have been mounting these to RC planes and drones with great success.

Yes, I do have floats actually and will be making some flight videos with them soon, as well as some other plane/drone reviews, repairs and fun tricks soon. Check out my YouTube channel if interested!

-Pete

Edited By Pete Pilot on 13/11/2020 10:08:01

Edited By Pete Pilot on 13/11/2020 10:10:27

Thanks guys, the scenery is certainly the best part! When I first learned to fly this location was quite challenging because nothing is flat until you're right at the shoreline ... and yes, I have gone swimming more than once to retrieve a plane. frown Freezing water and fried ESCs.

Andy, I agree this guy's video is much better than mine, better camera, better flying and his is mounted on a stick so you have different perspective, however he's just missing the near death experience!