When is too Young to Start?

James Green2

Hi Guys,

Well I am pleased to say that I think my eldest son is a keen aeromodeller. He is two years old and full of cold, but it didn't dampen his enthusiasm, shouting plane! and insisting that I hand over my Svenson Prima fuselage and sanding block. Perhaps its in the genes? He needs to learn to sand with the grain though! smiley

James.

https://youtu.be/831qo7nqymw

Advert

I learnt Aeromodelling at my Dad's knee as soon as I was old enough to take an interest.

I used to take a DC Wasp glow engine everywhere in my pram and my first book was the 1981 Airfix catalogue!

Loved cutting, sanding and gluing scraps of balsa that I was given.

Your young chap is getting off to a great start I'd say.

Thanks for the replies guys. My original Prima had a Webra 40 and a tuned pipe, this one will be brushless. My first one holds a lot of memories, it was nylon covered and was a tough old bird. It survived a mid air and flew one with one half of the stbd wing missing to land ok. This was back in the days when I was a member of the Nene Valley club near Wellingbourgh. The great man himself Mr Boddington clapped my landing so I felt a million dollars.

Posted by James Green2 on 16/12/2020 11:47:54:

Hi Guys,

Well I am pleased to say that I think my eldest son is a keen aeromodeller. He is two years old and full of cold, but it didn't dampen his enthusiasm, shouting plane! and insisting that I hand over my Svenson Prima fuselage and sanding block. Perhaps its in the genes? He needs to learn to sand with the grain though! smiley

James.

My two year old grandson is the same, plane and helicopter mad - he quite likes tractors too. My wife thinks it is a throwback to me and she unkindly says it is a defective gene! As a small child, I watched avidly in wonder as my dad build a KK Conquest glider on the dining room table. I was bitten by the bug and ended up with a career in aviation. From small beginnings...

Prima looks like a good design with a nice thick wing section James. Do post some pictures when you finish it. yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/12/2020 08:25:31

My experience with my small grandson at age two or three is that he loved chuck gliders and small rubber powered models, but once he got to four going on five , the atttaction of computer gaming overwhelmed the models. He's seven now and an absolute wizzard on the computer, both in terms of the games and setting it up.

I passed the transmitter to my 14 year old daughter - she was hovering the helicopter within minutes (simulator). I’m sure if she decided she wanted to pursue the hobby she’d be far better than me within a few weeks.
Im not sure to be pleased or not she decided it wasn’t for her - although she did say my actual helicopter was ‘cool’ when she saw me flying!