And now for something different

Daithi O Buitigh

Three decent handles, spokeshave, stripper, sanding block, coping saw and what might be a plane along with a selection of blades. No gouges though so it's not the top of the line set that I had as a birthday present several decades ago. Still not that exorbitant as X-Acto used to be the ultimate in model making tackle.

There was a frequent advert back page of Model Maker which shows the Keil Kraft X-Acto Burlington Hobby Chest cost five pounds three shillings ( £5.15 ) in 1963 but it lacked the coping saw and seems to be in a metal case. Of course in 1963 one could buy a brand new Austin Mini for £440 ( or just 397 fot the Mini Van ) X-Acto sets were expensive then.

The X-Acto No 82 Knife Chest with just No 1,2 and 5 handles with 11 baldes in wooden case cost one pound seventeen shillings ( £ 1.85 ) in 1963. This set is visually similar to the wooden box set cheap copies common now for a pound or two - different quality though.

A single X-Acto knife collet type cost four and sixpence ( 22 pence ) in 1963 compares perhaps to a Swann Morton scalpel at around 3 pounds now.

Edited By kc on 29/12/2020 18:53:18

I think mine came in a bakelite case, that would be in about 1967-69. It didn't have the coping saw but it had a full set of blades, gougers and routers plus a neat little block plane. As you say kc, they are or at least were a world away from the Chinese clone sets of three handles and thin flexible blades that you can pick up for a fiver.