Messerschmitt P.1091

The shape is not invented by Germany, Timo. Flying high requires a bigger wing because of thin air and high ratios are more efficient. Westland Welkin looks the same, just with two engines (they just made the mistake of too thick airfoils). The Canberra seems to be an exception for that. NASAs WB57 still flies for measurement missions.

Do you know from which book these drawings come from, Pert? The high quality 3view of the P.1091 Stufe II must be from the same source. Would be interesting to find that book.
Several versions of the 109 were built and flown, including the 309 for example. None was able to replace the 109. Considering the deficiencies of the 109 that shouldn't be a problem, one should think. But they always thought of a quick ans simple replacement with using many available parts. Which doesn't work to produce a competitive fighter.

I decided to stay with the Stufe II version and applied some details to wing and fuselage, although made from thin balsa and shaped for low air resistance not to worsen gliding. But raised details are better visible on the model rthan just painted ones.

Elevator is cut out for rudder movement.

Timo

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 10/01/2021 16:27:48

Posted by Timo Starkloff on 10/01/2021 16:27:21:

Do you know from which book these drawings come from, Pert? The high quality 3view of the P.1091 Stufe II must be from the same source. Would be interesting to find that book.

Not exactly...

The person who posted them referred to an "AJ-Press" book. A search finds a few Bf 109 books.

A thread on WW2aircraft .net connects that to a publication called "Monografie Lotnicze Messerschmitt Me 109 CZ.3" **LINK**

That might, or might not, be the same as "Messerschmitt Me 109 Pt. 3 Aircraft Monograph" by Robert Michulec**LINK**

• 2 weeks later...

Wing radiators are built very thin for low drag, would be bigger when built with scale dimensions. But in the air it looks much better than just painted.

Perfect for the folding prop is the fact, that the special high altitude DB engine sits more aft than in the standard 109. Enough clearance between the prop and the exhaust.

Timo

55.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 31/01/2021 19:01:21

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 31/01/2021 19:03:27

Shouldn't be a problem, Dwain, if the weather improves and I manage to start with the rc installation

In Germany we are still allowed to go outside, meet one other person (good for throwing the model on first flight and maybe taking a picture) and even the model airfields are still open.

But meeting more people again would be nice, yes. Except work we actually we keep contacts on an absolute minimum.

Timo

I wanted to have a captured plane in British markings since some time and the 1091 is perfect for that. It wasn't build so everything's fictive. Since the development of such special projects took a long time, it's easy to imagine the plane just got finished at the end of war (like the Bv 155, Do 335, Horten IX, ...). The goal was to have a different look compared to my other warbirds and it seems that worked.

Actually I have the standard 109 spinner but my brother will make a new one, similar to the II version. Getting quite scale now

Timo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last steps took quite some time. Screws missing, one hinge less than needed (solved by cannibalising a crashed aircombat model), pilots needed painting (some more for other models), six servos instead of the aircombat typical 2-3, and a still cold workshop didn't help either. But finally everythings finished except some minor issues.

61.JPG

56.JPG

58.JPG

59.JPG

60.JPG

Edited by Timo Starkloff

And finally yesterdays weather was perfect for the first flight. No wind, warm temperatures and good visibility. Just no one else to throw the model except myself. Dry comment from my brother, what shall go wrong?

Except some trimming of the elevator due to a slight nose heaviness, everything went fine. Thanks to good gliding capabilities, I was up in the air for a good time. Enough but not much excess power on climb due to only 180 Watts onboard. Smooth reactions on all controls, so the tail size is good. Good gliding speed and low sinking speed, which means I managed to find a good compromise for the angle of incidence.

63.JPG

64.JPG

62.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, Dwain and Chris. It is always a relief after the first meters of flying, when you realise a heavier-than-air model really flies.

The train home from work arrived before I was finished with the text above.

The model high up in the sky looks really good. Thermals were out of question due to late time, but with the good gliding and sinking rate it should soar well. Much fun were low level tight turns without motor, like those fancy modern gliders but with much better looks. That's when you recognise the good gliding characteristics, when the ground comes near.
Butterfly flaps for landing were also tested, it didn't make much trim changes but movements have to be increased since drag was not so high.

Actually I'm at 880 grams with a 3S1700 accumulator. I have two 3S2200 and plenty 3S3000 so I will try these, too. Folding prop is a 7x6 Aeronaut, a 8x4 will be tested, too. Center of gravity slightly backward. Trying to program the trasmitter for thermal (slow) and hill soaring (fast) conditions. And then there are minor details to improve like the tape on the wing servos.

But with a new model I'm looking forward to the spring season ?

Timo

Edited by Timo Starkloff

The servo lever was too thick for the plastic clips. Changing to the traditional metal clips wasn't good either, 4 grams instead of 0.5 grams for the plastic/cfk version. Would be a bit heavy if the servo just weighs 10 grams. It's one of the many small opportunities to bring down weight. With four wing servos thats 16 grams compared to 2 grams. 

Finally I sanded down the servo lever, but careful for not producing a breaking point.

Timo

65.JPG

But finally some inflight pictures ?
Not the best quality, since I had to take them on my own. Quick picture with the DSLR (model gliding on it's own) and video capture with the smart phone. Due to covid lockdown I'm flying either on my own or with one other person, not on the model airfield.

Timo

68.JPG

69.PNG

70.PNG

71.PNG

72.PNG

Edited by Timo Starkloff
  • Like 2