Fokker cockpit

Ernie

Advert

Thanks David, It would be good to get it right..There is a replica in the USA, but it's nothing like the WW1 examples. I think the problem is that they are all different, so I suppose just about anything goes.

I'm a wee bit disappointed with scale matters on the forum. I saw it as an exciting and inovative means for scale nuts to exchange information, like my fokker question.  I'm sure the knowledge is out there, and I know that modellers are a helpful bunch.  Maybe many people do not fully appreciate the value of a forum like this

ernie 

Thanks Simon, I'll follow that up on the Science Museum Website....... I have got some pix of it, It's uncovered, and hanging from the ceiling, but I can't see much of the cockpit.

I think you are right re, contents, also, I don't think there was a lot of standardisation

ernie

Ernie

The only cockpit detail I can find is from a flight sim.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/31957/Eindeckercockpit.jpg

I don't know how accurate it really is but it looks about right for one of the later models with an altimeter and rev counter.

I understand the Oberursel (like most rotaries) had both air valve (throttle) and fuel (mixture) levers. It was up to the pilot to set a working mixture strength for any given throttle setting.

Blipping the ingnition was not popular with rotaries as the fuel would continue to flow risking a fire in the cowling as soon as the engine fired again although some had a rotary ignition switch that cut out 3,5 or 7 cylinders. This meant there would always some working cylinders to ignite the unburnt fuel before it collected in any quantity!

The Eindecker was the first aircraft to use a stick mounted firing button.

I hope this helps.

Hi Simon, and thanks a lot for that

I have a drawing that is similar. the left hand gauge is RPM..There is a fuel gauge on the fuselage to the left of the spandau..If you are interested in this sort of thing, I can post a copy on the forum

ernie

I'm a bit lost for words now  -without being banned from the forum  . Don't start talking about old things like nostralgia for goodness sake .otherwise Eric might wake up just as he's getting ready for hibernation in his shed/ refuge/ bolt hole /hangar ( like our hedgehog who lives in a mess o' smit  & loves it  )

from an old sage

Ernie,

Good pics of Eindecker cockpits are rare. The best I've seen are in Windsock Datafile 15.

Fuel gauge is halfway recessed into the top decking behind the engine with an streamline aluminium shield over the front.

The compass is usually recessed into  the top starboard wing, between first and second rib, just in front of the cockpit opening.

What looks to be the dashboard is the rear of the aluminium box for collecting spent cartridges - it has a large, hinged, pull-down flap in it.

To the left of this box there is, bolted to a fuselage upright,

top : the ignition switch 

middle : rev counter, probably the most important instrument in a WW1 fighter because if you over-revved the engine the interrupter gear lost synchronisation and you shot your own propellor off - not recommended!

lower :  the carburetter control

On the right-hand-side of the cartridge box was the distribution panel, fixed to an upright, with one lever for selecting fuel tank and another for selecting the source of fuel tank air pressure (hand pump for starting and switch to engine driven pump once the engine is going?).  Above these on this panel is an oil pulseometer indicating oil flow.  A couple of instruments are also seen either on or beside this panel (air and oil pressure?)

Below the panel is a brass syringe plunger type air pump (used to pressurise the fuel tank at engine start).

Hope this helps,

Steve.

See also :- Flying Scale Models - Sept 2003

and   Cross & Cockade  Vol 12, No 1  (1981) 

Eric, everytime I've seen someone start a rotary (at Old Warden) the engine prime is done by the mechanic by squirting petrol into the exhaust ports as they open up when the engine is being turned over by hand. I think you will find the air pressure pump is a common feature on most aeroplanes of WW1 vintage.

Ernie The Cross and Cockade I mentioned has a few photos of the Science Museum example but it looks like it's been gutted of instruments at some point in the past.

Steve