Airsail - Dehavilland Chipmunk Kit

Hi Richard
That was a long way to go to get some parts from Airsail
My Chippie had its first flight today !! and its still in one piece. After trimming it was nice to fly, couple of hairy moments after take off though
Off to our clubs Concours competiton tonight.
Thanks for the comments on the Breather pipe guy's, OS don't even mention the length in the instructions. I have just used enough to let it hang out of the bottom of the cowl. Heres a quick snap of the plane as it flew today, still some fine detail to do.

• 2 months later...
Advert

Hi Mark,

Getting to the pilot stage, where did you get yours from, having difficulty finding a pilot of the right height. Most 1/6th scale ones I can see are too short to see over the top of the fuz

Homebrew exhaust made by mofiying 2 standard OS outlets by cutting, bending and silver soldering. Joined with a brass sleeve, tapped to M11x0.75. 10mm copper tube formed to replicate the original system shape, all silver soldered including a brass supporting strap screwed into the engine box with some silicone in between to hopefully absorb the vibration.

Hi Chinesespaceman
I used 1/6th scale Petes Pilots. Trimmed off about an inch to get the correct height.
I like the exhaust you have made. I went for the simplest option 90 degree adaptor and standard exhaust stright out underneath. I had a rubber deflector originally poking out of the bottom of the cowl but that fell off on the first flight. a friend made me up a fiiting that i can screw an aluminium tube to the exhaust to facilitate taking the Cowling off easily.

Cheers, Mark

Yes - I used brass square tube and Dremelled a slot using a thin grinding disc. I discarded the vac formed dorsal fairing and built it up from balsa incorporating the rear channel.  I did have vague ideas of operating it with a servo but never bothered.

I sometimes fly with the canopy slightly open as is permitted on the full size and also used it a few times with the canopy removed to fit a small video camera in the rear seat - results posted earlier in the thread (Page 5 3/2/09) but unfortunately my carefully mixed live sound and music has been replaced with some unknown music by YouTube when they got tough on copyright matters.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/01/2010 22:05:06

• 2 weeks later...

It flies very adequately on a 52 FS and I can confirm that it fits entirely within the cowling (including the silencer with a suitable adapter).  If you want to prop-hang it's not the engine for you but if it's any guide, I don't normally get to half throttle while trying to achieve a scaleish take -off. According to the designer, the prototype flew on "an old OS40 FS" when I checked with him after various club sages told me it would be underpowered on the 52!.

Mine weighs a good 8 lbs with an on-board glow and has performed vicelessly since I built it in 2003.

See this video for confirmation...

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/01/2010 22:05:56

looking realy good. No i´m not going to hang in the prop , just want the nice and steady flying, so i guess that makes the choice for me - i put the ´52 in the cowl

-  as soon i have finished the DH 60 Moth, the e-Flite taylorcraft and the Race rat form Graupner - and repaired my ESM Bonanza and the Aviomodelli Piper Arrow

S.L

I can also confirm that a 52 four stroke is adequate. I have an OS52 in Mine and even running very rich running in, it had enough power. This size engine gives it a real air of realism, not overpowered but very scale like flying. Just the way a Chippy should be. Not charging around the sky. Again other people told me it would be underpowered. WRONG!!!!!
Martin. I have never used an on board glow, but this is my first four stroke. The engine takes a while to warm up and get a steady idle. Do you think i would benefit using one?

Mark

I can only recommend one to you...when you've spent so many hours building a scale model, it seems a small investment to add the reliability of a boost system - especially if you're running on the rich side. 

I like the South Herts Models versions which monitor the temperature of the glow element (by constantly measuring its resistance) and only add assistance when the element cools.

Of course, it also means no fiddling around with glow leads although I have fitted an emergency remote connection point in case the battery is ever allowed to run flat.

• 1 month later...
Chaps, this is an interesting thread. I have just bought the smaller Black Horse Chippie and intend to make it a bit more scale. In particular I want to change the cowl and will try the Airsail one, but is there a supplier of the canopy Martin used?

Is it the Airsail one and if so, who supplies Airsail spares?

Other than Carbon Copy, where can I get a replacement cowl?

CML Distribution Ltd

Saxon House
Saxon Business Park
Hanbury Road
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire B60 4AD
England

Web - www.cmldistribution.co.uk
Ph    01527 575349
Fax  01527 570536

UK distrbutor is now as above or try Airsail direct

All my cowling and canopy parts were out of the kit.  It might also be worth contacting Carbon Copy - they might possibly do a glass or carbon fibre cowling.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/03/2010 17:45:58

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/03/2010 17:48:12

• 1 year later...
Posted by Richard Duvall on 24/10/2008 16:13:00:

I'm just starting out building my first RC Aircraft (apart from my ARTF trainer). I've read with great interest some very good build diaries on here and I know I've got a lot to learn! I thought it might be useful to chart my progress on here and hopefully pick up some tips from the experts when I go wrong.

I chose the Chipmunk as it seems a reasonably simple kit and also represents a modest step forward in flying from my current high wing trainer with which I hope to acheive my A Certificate before winter gets in the way of flying.

Before I get too far into the build I will need to select what engine I am going to use; I am currently thinking of the OS 46AX.

The kit instructions and main plan do not include flaps but they do provide a supplementary sheet which describes the variations need to include them. I'm a way off from getting to that point, but I am leaning towards including them.

Further down the line I will have to tackle the black art of covering and painting and I've already read a lot of the advice about that but have not made my mind up on what to use.

I will add photos later to show what I have completed so far.

Hi Richard,

I have been reading your thread on the Chipmunk build, just great has I am just at the end of my own build. One big question did you finish and fly yours.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

I have a copy but I’m away on missionary work in the far North (West Yorkshire) for a week or so. 

I should be able to photocopy it for you when I return to civilisation but maybe drop a PM to kevin b on this forum as he distributed the kits for a short time. 

This thread is a bit of a very old friend - shame we never found out how Richard got on with his build…

Pm me with your email address Paul and I will send you a digital copy.

Martin. 

I do hope you had a pleasant journey up and didn't fall foul of the customs officials when you entered Yorkshire.

They are generally a friendly bunch unless you try to smuggle in contraband like flat beer and jellied eels.   ?

Edited by kevin b