Glow to diesel conversions. Lets see them

Engine Doctor

In the "Buyers Beware" thread the topic sort of steered towards diesel conversions. This sort of hijacked the OP so have started a separate thread for conversions .

After seeing Michaels conversion of a OS Fx engine I thought I would have a go.

My first diesel conversion of an old Magnum GP40 (clone of ans OS FP 40)

Rather than use the "O" ring type contra piston I made a steel insert and contra piston . 

I'll try the "O"ring method next time on a smaller engine 

Could the mods transfer any relevant post onto here ?

124_2535.JPG

124_2530.JPG

Edited by Engine Doctor

Advert

Thats great ED 

I shall try to add my pennies worth . I know I have an FP 40  so will dig it out .

On fuel consumption , the Irvine 20 I converted  , I thought it was a little on the high side , but running has been very limited , so at present its just a "feeling "

cheers

well I "did" an OS 40 FP !!

After the Irvine 20 , I thought this would be a doddle , and to be honest it was , till I came to turn the engine over when all was completed . the OS has a very long stroke ,and the inlet timing is very late so the suction in the cylinder is high !! Being an "O" ring type contra piston with in the region of 1/2 thou clearance it is a super smooth fit . Therefore as the piston goes down on its suction phase it is closely followed by the contra piston which is shorter that the engine stoke and it falls into the cylinder and jams the whole lot up ! 

Not really happy about making a "tight " fitting contra piston , cannot make it longer !! so a little head scratching is required !

Other wise excellent compression and would definately  run !

cheers 

IMG_2844.JPG

Hi Stuphedd. Can you not make a steel insert with an iron contraposition to fit in the head ? It looks as if you have enough height in the head. The head I made for the Magnum a much higher profile than needed and the insert is simply clamped into the cylinder by the head. The Magnum Is pretty much identical to the FP and doesn't have this problem. The Contrapistion is stiff/ firm to adjust and gives a nice click when it re-sets so shouldn't have issues with the comp screw comming loose during running. The down stroke should still be holding compression and that should keep CP in place ?. If it's sucking the CP out into the cylinder then ii must be loosing it's compression somewhere.

Hi Rich .I still haven't run it for any length of time as have been busy with other stuff. It starts very easily on a prime .

I intend to try converting some smaller engines later 10 or 15 size glows. 

Has anyone converted an older engine with a baffled piston like an Enya ? I thought if I made an aluminium grip to hold the piston I could turn the baffle off without damaging the piston. Failing that making a new iron piston. These older engines were generally lower reving and I think would suit vintage style models well.

Edited by Engine Doctor

Has anyone converted an older engine with a baffled piston like an Enya ?

One could always retain the baffle and peg the contra-piston as OS did many years ago http://sceptreflight.com/Model Engine Tests/OS Max 15D.html

Of course, one would have to mill a matching slot into the contra-piston.

The main problem that I have found converting glow engines to diesel is determining whether the con-rod and the crankpin are up to the task and if the piston/liner fit are sufficient to give the required compression seal (I have yet to encounter a model diesel engine that uses piston rings)

Chris

2 hours ago, Christopher Wolfe said:

Has anyone converted an older engine with a baffled piston like an Enya ?

One could always retain the baffle and peg the contra-piston as OS did many years ago http://sceptreflight.com/Model Engine Tests/OS Max 15D.html

Of course, one would have to mill a matching slot into the contra-piston.

The main problem that I have found converting glow engines to diesel is determining whether the con-rod and the crankpin are up to the task and if the piston/liner fit are sufficient to give the required compression seal (I have yet to encounter a model diesel engine that uses piston ring

Hi Chris yes the pegged CP is an option but a comparatively difficult one to achieve considering the shape of the CP and maintaining compression due to the peg and slot So will stick with a flat top piston and adopt the kiss principle ?

The bottom end of the engines do vary considerably in construction and therefore strength . I wouldn't consider any engine that has a made up crank is pressed in big end etc or cranks and Conrods made from cheap soft materials as they would not take the strain imposed by the higher compression needed in a diesel. Generally Enya, Fuji most OS and some British engines were over engineered so are candidates for conversion.

Thanks for the advice ED , I shall make an "alternative" when I have time , but at present I am catching up on my flying , 

The OS has fantastic compression , and actually appears to be unrun !!I shall give it a run when I have mixed up a new batch of fuel ,which will be when the weather gets warm enough to allow the Castrol M/R to flow !!

cheers   

15 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Hi Christopher I like the the look of the  low profile head on the silver crank case Cox . Is it a "O" ring type Contra-piston ?

I shall ask the builder next time I see him at a comp. as it's a nice looking conversion and it ran very well.

Most of my conversions are 'factory' ones mostly Enya's (SS 25BB DS, Ultra 11CX DS and a 41-4C diesel four stroke)

Chris

ran the OS40 today , very good , easy to start, well it went well till the silencer fell off! The engine even throttles .

The silencer  was not an original  and a bit of a miss mass ! so needs a bit of  modification , or a hunt through the junk box for a better one .  

so a bit more later !! and must check the prop balance ?

cheers 

• 1 month later...

I have nearly finished a conversion on  a Magnum 15 GP  from glow to diesel . A much smaller engine so tried the "O" ring type contra piston. I have set it up using nitrile "O" 

Rings but have ordered some Vitol rings as they apparently last far longer. I will put some pics on later. The Magnum is a long shaft version so an anodised prop driver will stand out well. The issue is what colour anodising for the head and spinner ? . Blue or green me thinks ?

3 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

The Magnum is a long shaft version so an anodised prop driver will stand out well. The issue is what colour anodising for the head and spinner ? . Blue or green me thinks ?

E.D. Whatever colour makes you happy. It won't affect the revs too much.

It's only a Magnum so don't go overboard. Black anodising is good for cooling but any colour that takes your fancy should work;

For the Viton rings consider adding a lock to the comp screw as the 'feel' is very soft for a model diesel engine.

Chris

Hi Chris . Yes the O ring wasn't my preferred choice but wanted to try it as making the steel  cylinder extension wit iron contra-piston as I did on the 40 is a lot more time consuming . I have opted for two rings and the adjustment feels quite stiff. Not as stiff as an iron CP but still quite stiff . I have left enough thread on the comp screw to allow for a locking arm .

I was only joking about the anodising colour but I have to admit I do get a sense of satisfaction from making the job look good. 

Re "its only a Magnum " One thing I did find back in the day was that the Magnum engines(not the later ASP/ SC/Magnum clones) were/are every bit as good as an OS for much less money and the Magnum spares were used to repair the OS FP when the chrome started coming off. 

Just going out to take some pics .

First a correction . I have earmarked two engines for diesel conversion The Magnum is a 10 GP not a 15 as I mentioned and can clearly be seen in the picture below .The next engine I intend to convert is an OS LA 15 hence the mix up.

So here are some pics of the Magnum 10 so far .

Here is the engine assembled before being dismantled for polishing for anodising . The engine was bought by me many years ago and had little use in a model called " The Answer ". Compression is excellent so should cope with diesel very well.

124_2546.JPG

Edited by Engine Doctor

This is the completed engine all anodised .

I wanted a green finish and mixed a blue and yellow dye that gave a really nice lime green colour to the head. When sealing the anodising the yellow immediately washed out left the blue colour , so blue it is . The colour take up of different alloys is evident by the difference with the head turned fro 6082 alloy to the prop driver made from chinese alloy unknown.

124_2554.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Stuphedd Again only run on prime. Will wait until I can get them up the field as too much stuff in workshop to get splattered with oil etc. I intend to fly them at some time. I have a Ben Buckle 70 inch Taylor Craft kit waiting so the 40 is ideal for that one.Was planning a OS 15 LA conversion with Nice dark blue head. On stripping found the dreded plating falling off the liner ! I really don't know how OS got away with it.

Just spent the afternoon  re anodising some of my old diesel cylinder heads as some looked a bit tatty.