Engine experts - liner top surface shape question

Nigel R

In the OS 2 strokes I have recently been fettling & refurbing a little, the liners seem to have a step on the top surface.

It is lower, on the inside, and a fraction higher on the outside. This is the surface in contact with the gasket.

Why is the step there? I'm at a loss to understand the reasoning behind it.

Advert

I've had a look at an old 32 heli engine in my spares/junk department and you're right, there is a small flange (as illustrated in the picture you posted while I was typing).  My suspicion would be that it's simply part of the production process allowing an accurate ground surface to be machined for the gasket without touching the top of the bore.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Update

OS SF motors, by the way.

Hmm. You think the bore might be plated (ABC/ABN liner) before the outer surface is ground?

It does mean the gasket compresses only on the outside of the liner top surface.

Edited by Nigel R

I see what you mean now . I thought you meant in the actual cylinder bore . My guess is that it allows the liner to press into the soft alloy  head gasket /Shim and make a seal without over tightening and possibly distorting the head, also avoiding the corner where the shim can bend up slightly preventing the cyl from seating properly 

Thanks chaps

I suppose as the head protrudes into the liner, there is already a very narrow gap between head and liner, so there would be no benefit to sealing the entire width of the liner top surface.

Also, I guess no combustion is going to happen right up in that tiny gap.

By reducing the contact area the contact pressure is increased. 
It also avoids the need for having a really sharp corner (which would be stress raiser) between the projecting centre of the head and the gasket surface.
At a guess, carbon will also build up between the head and the lower step, potentially improving the seal?