Buying a Spektrum DX7

Allan Bowker

Well I have saved up my pennies and I can finally afford to fork out £239.99 on a new Spektrum DX7.

So what's the problem you may ask? What are you waiting for?

Well I do have a few questions and would welcome any helpful comments from you.

1) Why can the DX7 not be altered between Mode1 and Mode2 (throttle stick config).
This is usually just a spring and ratchet to be moved.

2) Should I go Mode1 or Mode2 (I can fly both but have mode1 on my old plane radio and mode2 on my heli)

3) Any other comments, hints or tips when buying this radio?

Thanks everyone

Allan,

How well do you fly both modes? Whichever way you go I would'nt reccomend continually swapping a trannie over between modes so you're either going to have to run two T/X's one on mode 1 for fixed wing and the other for your heli(s) on mode 2. I would suggest that if you've only just started out on the helis to switch to mode 1 on your heli also. At the end of the day it's your decision, I personally would'nt want to be flying two modes sooner or later I think you'd make an "instictive error" which could cost you a model (or worse). Just my two penneth FWIW, and I do fly both fixed wing and helis by the way

Inwoods price sounds good, just checked their website but don't see ANY Spektrum sets listed (weird!).
They have some on the front page, but nothing in the online shop (JR/Spektrum section).

The mid November Yorkshire show sounds good but would cost me when travelling from the West Midlands, so cancelling out the savings.

• 1 month later...

Just as an update and maybe some closure to this thread...

I purchased my DX7 set (TX,RX,Servos, battery, etc) from Penn Models (West Midlands) as I like to support my local model shops. Cost me £239  

I'm very happy with it and look forward to Summer 2009

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post a reply above

Oh, and I went with Mode2 in the end. Looks like it's both Heli's and Planes for me in the future.