Frsky Versions explained please. And a whole lot more.

Dale Bradly

Ladies (assuming there are some out there) and Gents, can i borrow some knowledge please. (sorry question heavy OP)

I run a JR9XII, love it to bits, but am starting to get nervous about running a computer that must be at least 15 years old to fly planes i've put hours of effort into. 

I long ago installed a Frsky DHT hack module (the one with telemetry). I tried the telemetry once, didn't get it to work and moved on. At least a decade later i haven't missed what i never had.

The hack module is inside the radio, so the module bay on the back is free.

I have a multitude of receivers, although coming to mind perhaps the most common types i have are the D8R-II and some from the V8 range. This module has a switch to switch between modes, i don't recall which is which but i'm 99% certain it's one position for the V8 range, and another position for the other. (Switch has a third position for something i don't recall so don't need it seems).

What i want to know/understand is a plain english explanation of what protocols Frsky have put out over the years: e.g. what they are called (V8, D8?)  commonly found receivers for each of these. Compatibility between types? (i recently bought a couple of the Banggood 4ch Frksy D8 compatible rx's and i was flumoxed if I could get either of them to bind to my TX, so it seems not all D8's are the same???)

In the next year or two I am leaning towards replacing it with the Radiomaster TX16S.

Then what of these Frsky protocols can the TX16S run, will my existing receivers work on this?

I also wonder about getting one of the multiprotocol modules and dropping it into the back of the JR in the short term, what advantages would this give me? I presume i could run a newer protocol on this, so accessing newer receivers? I'm not interested in swapping back and forth/selecting modes/pushing mode buttons between 16 different protocols, if that's how it's done, but setting it to one and sticking with it. Nor interested in compiling my own code which one website suggested.

Thanks

Well spotted on that list!

@Dale Bradlyif it makes you feel any better I am still using two 388s, the oldest of which was bought in 1997.  The younger (2004) has had a FrSky module installed since they first came out.  The problem with transferring from JR or higher end Futaba to products of Chinese origin is that while the Japanese turned their fanaticism from militarism to quality control, I'm not sure the Chinese have.  I like the idea of a Radiomaster, but I don't want it doing a Roy Batty on me at the bottom of a bunt...