DB Excellence - Powerplant or Electric Mod?

Hi there

I am pondering on whether to build a DB Excellence as my next project.  It is a low winger span 48ish.  Original design was for a OS20 Four stroke.  Question is what to power it with.  I am a bit of a traditionalist and generally prefer glow.  I do not have a suitable 4 stroke but have an OS20FP available.  However would this be a bit small power wise?

Has anyone had experience of doing an electric conversion recently on the plan which was a free plan in RCM&E in Nov 19 or advice on this.

I have an E Flite BF15 (EFL8463) 880Kv brushless out-runner plus E Flight 40 Amp BEC  ESC, which powered an E flite PT17 biplane until the top wing departed and re-kitted the plane (total wreck).  Think the prop on this install was an 11/7.  Question is would this be a good match for the DB Excellence?  I think it would run at 9 to 10K on a 3S?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

LPP

Advert

Hi Pete,

A superb model. I had several, and built several for other people. A popular option back in the day was to buy a pair of gangster 52 wings and cut them down at the root to get to 48", which gives it a whole different character. as standard, I have flown them on Irvine 20 and 25s, and an ASP32. With the gangster wings they go great on OS40FP or Enya 40. In this set up they knife edge forever!

As standard, and with a baby four stroke, they are lovely, gentle but aerobatic models. If I built one now I would probably use something like a 3536 around 1200kv and a 10x5 on 3S. I have similar sized sportsters that this set up suits very well.

Good luck, and keep us all posted

Graham

46 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

FP are not mega powerful engines. Probably a bit more go than the old OS 20 FS, but not gobs more. 

Your electric setup sounds like the right sort of thing, but, what does a watt meter say?

If I remember correctly, around 450W. The excellence if built for electric should come out around 3lb, so about perfect!

Graham