Aeroplane Magazines - Free

I have had passed on to me about a hundredweight of back numbers of Aeroplane Magazine, going back to the Richard Riding editorship. They are too interesting to bin and would be free to a good home. I'm in the Croydon/Bromley area, as they'd need to be collected. PM me if that sounds interesting, and they're yours.

Advert

Further to this thread, I visited bmfa.org earlier looking for access to the "archive" for magazines etc. but found nothing.

I emailed Linda over in admin about this and she phoned me up about archive access and another matter.

Anyways the magazine archive is not digitised ( a mamouth task to say the least ! ) So a formal request via letter or email is needed.

They do hold other magazines such as"Aeroplane Monthly" etc. and may/would be interested in your " bundle" particularly if the bundle contains a "missing edition" to make the archive more complete.

Over to you sir.

14 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Further to this thread, I visited bmfa.org earlier looking for access to the "archive" for magazines etc. but found nothing.

I emailed Linda over in admin about this and she phoned me up about archive access and another matter.

Anyways the magazine archive is not digitised ( a mamouth task to say the least ! ) So a formal request via letter or email is needed.

They do hold other magazines such as"Aeroplane Monthly" etc. and may/would be interested in your " bundle" particularly if the bundle contains a "missing edition" to make the archive more complete.

Over to you sir.

An excellent bit of research, next time perhaps I suggest you do that before you take to the forums suggesting the BMFA should do things that it already does?

While you are in research mode, perhaps this link may be of interest?

https://bmfa.org/The-BMFA/Board-of-Directors/London-Delegate

5 hours ago, Martin Dilly 1 said:

Alan, we're singing from the same hymn sheet. We clearly need to get something more in BMFA News, though it's rather wasted if members don't actually read it. You can lead a horse to water... Meanwhile the quest for a good home for the Aeroplane Monthlies continues.

Martin have you tried setting up an account and listing them on the Magazine Exchange website? It takes less time than listing on eBay as the magazines are pre-listed/catalogued by the site.  You just have to list which magazine you are offering and a selling price (which could be nominal if you just want to find them a home).

I realise this would take some work, but it looks like interest is limited here. Dare I say it that listing them commercially might actually create/satisfy demand?

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/

I had boxes full of old mags from passed members, I cannot remember the name but a gent took the lot and organised a courier to collect them, he sent me a few quid as well, can't give you the name it was in my pm's and they've gone with the old forum, anyone know the gents details ? I believe it's part of his business.

I don't think there's a lot of interest in old magazines. I have 3 decades worth of Motor Cycle Sport from when it first appeared as a magazine stored in my loft.  I can't bear to throw them out because they're all articles with few adverts.  I suppose they'll be chucked at the same time as I am ?

Geoff

Thanks, gents, for the suggestions. I'll certainly chase up the Magazine Exchange site.

The BMFA archive is physical rather than digital. Getting it more accessible is, along with progressing the model flying museum project, one of the things that a big Premium Bond win would accelerate (or our 30,000 members all kicking in an extra quid a year).

Geoff S, might you have any Motor cycle mechanics monthly mags in your loft from the 70's ?

A friend has been trying for ages to get a copy of a small box ad, black and white, which appeared in the back pages.

It's an ad for a Honda CB125s big bore kit. The artwork showed the cb125s engine with a "morphed" cylinder head Bart Simpson like.....

He says it would look great on a cb125s he has in his shed, on the tank.

If it was scanned it can be made into left and right and a sticker made, via computer...