An Introduction To Radio Controlled Flying.

David Davis

Every year, at our club's New Year's Eve dinner I award a series of prizes to club members for their performances over the past year. Sometimes they are a serious acknowledgement of progress or achievement, the most improved beginner for example, but most of them are just a joke! For example there is a prize for the pilot who flies more quickly than his ability and prizes for the top three crashers!  These usually get bottles of glue!

This year I wish to award a " Prix: Je Ne Crash Pas Parce Que Je Ne Vol Pas."("I Do Not Crash Because I Do Not Fly.") I have a good friend called Eric who often turns up without his model just for the craic. Even when he brings a model he frequently does not fly it! I'd like to give him a book, some sort of introduction to r/c model flying, it doesn't matter whether it's in English or French.

Any suggestions?

He is a very good friend of mine and won't be offended, besides at 11.30 on 31st December we'll all be three sheets in a wind!

P.S. I know it's a long time till New Year's Eve but I was once in the Boy Scouts!

PPS. I see that the pictures are marked AGM but that was a mistake. They were taken at the New Year's Eve Dinner 2019. The AGM was an altogether more sober affair!

AGM Dinner.jpg

Typical pose 3.jpg

Holding forth typical pose.jpg

Presenting the club president with a slab of styrofoam.jpg

Someone was amused.jpg

Advert

David Boddington's Radio Control Primer is old but still a very good read; plus you get dimensioned plans to build the DB Pronto.

As Ernie says, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Jonathan Livingston Le Goeland - en Francais) would be a good one.  You could inscribe in it "To Eric, who reminds the club of a seagull, as you would have to throw stones at him to get him to fly..." ?

On a more serious note, it may be that Eric, if he's not flying regularly is losing confidence, or with increasing age his eyesight is deteriorating and he's privately worried he will get disorientated and mess up in front of the 'peanut gallery'.  Could you engineer some opportunities for him to fly with only one or two others present?

Thanks for the replies lads, Jonathan Livingston Le Goeland it is!

Robin, Eric is a very strong individual and at fifty something one of the younger members of our club. If it were ever my misfortune to defend a trench, I would like him alongside me. He sees the funny side of everything!

But you're right, his confidence would improve if he were to fly more. I'll try to take him up more frquently on the buddy box.