Covering foam

Al Knights

Hi all, just a quick question regarding the above. "What do you use for covering foam?"

I'm  about to build my first foam model  a Piper Cherokee, just a small one about 50ins w/s.

When built, should I  use glass cloth and PVA, or maybe epoxy? what about that self adhesive flim? Just not sure which is the right choice.

What do you think? All suggestions welcomed.

Advert

It does rather depend on the type of foam you are using. Is it just to provide a smooth surface or to add a structural skin or somewhere in between?

Many use self adhesive coloured tape to both provide additional stiffness, particularly to be more 'ding' resistant, as well as to provide the required decoration.

A light weight glass cloth and PVA almost as a varnish can give good results but remember many paints, particularly aerosols, are not foam safe.  

Hi 

I've just finished covering a dynam hurricane fuselage with 18gram glass cloth and deluxe models eze kote resin. I done 5 coats of resin 2 coats of primer which was wet flatted to fill in a few areas then I gave it 2 more coats of primer. This resulted in a lovely finish. With not much weight added.

Dan