Battle of Britain on Channel Five right now

leccyflyer

Advert

On 06/10/2021 at 11:15, Cuban8 said:

You are quite right about the air-mindedness of those who took an interest in the huge aviation advances that were happening during the 1950s and 60s. I am also very aware of the knowledge and experience of those at the sharp end of the Battle of Britain and The Blitz, as I recall many delightful hours as a kid listening to my Nan's stories of how they were bombed out of their East End homes on several occasions. I also attended the Battle of Britain 'at home' days at RAF Coltishall in the mid to late 60s. Vulcans, Victors, Lightnings,  QRA demos....lovely!

The 'movement' that I refer to is really that group of a  few (and not always fabulously  wealthy) people who went out of their way early on in the UK to save airframes from destruction either by disinterested owners or wanton neglect by officaldom, with a view to returning historic aircraft to operation. Their own satisfaction is/was a major factor, but a wider sense of preserving history was also at play with a hope that the money side would take care of itself.  Obviously, things moved on and I agree that many later commercial interests  without, perhaps, the pure historic side as their guiding light have expanded for those who can or wish to indulge themselves. I'm afraid that IMHO we are seeing more of this taking hold at IWM Duxford, to a certain extent at Old Warden and not entirely connected with the aircraft per se. - a discussion for another day!

See the documentary about the late Nick Grace who is typical of those enthusiasts 'on a mission' in the 70s and 80s, and his battle to return OUV to the air, and which is now a much loved aircraft flown still flow albeit in a more modern and essential commercial fashion by his family, I believe.

"The Perfect Lady". Fantastic film all about OUV. Classic.

Edited by SIMON CRAGG