PAW 15/19 dimensions

Advert

Interesting, my now elderly paw 19 ds4 bought new in 1986 ? @ £27.80 plus vat stunt/cl engine which must have had a few gallons of d1000 run thru it and still going strong, with a recently fitted new RC carb, is somewhat bigger.

It's in an engine mount but measurements are close, being 42mm ( 1  21/32 inch ) max width and 25mm bearer pad flat width between c/case curvature...

As said it's quite old now and the slec engine bearers I researched at the time ( about 6 months ago ) did not fit very well, so I have it mounted in the 2 piece t shaped bearers that I bought many many years ago.

It swings a 10 X 4 prop and responds well to RC carb.

As a matter of interest what plane do you intend fitting a paw15/19 into ?

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, but I think it's a non starter.

Rich

Looking to fit it in a Blob sloper. This is the old SAS design, recently re-kitted by NJR modelling.

As a sloper, it has a very narrow fuz, especially at the nose, and I think widening that would spoil the look.

So with a width between sides of only 35mm, not going to fit.

Shame really, pretty much a retro model, fancied the idea of a retro power source as well. Ho hum.

JD8

Yes, that's the dimension from the PAW website, but it's not clear what that refers to. Looking at the measurement Rich has posted, I would guess the 33mm refers to the distance between the mounting bolt holes. Certainly it's not to the edges of the bearers.

Thanks anyway.

Did consider whether an 09 (1.49cc) would be powerful enough. Maybe so, maybe not, but still have the same issue. PAW site says 22.2mm between bearers, and 29.2mm across bearers. Assuming that is the distance between mounting holes, gives me 6mm to play with.

So, extending the question to include the 1.49 engine as well. Anyone with one lying around, could they measure this for me.

Interestingly enough had a look through e-bay to see whats available, came across this. Referred to as a PAW 100, but would anybody really pay £152 + £54 shipping, where a new 1.49 from the factory is only £84.

Jury still out on this one.

Jeff

I bought in January this year a brand new paw09mk1 RC with silencer direct from paw, and the RC carb for the 19ds4.

The 09 max width of c/case is 35.3mm with width of mounting pads c/case curvature being 22.3mm.

From memory it fits a slec engine mount snugly accomodating the silencer as fitted from paw, the silencer can being behind and transverse relative to the cylinder.

I will check the slec engine mount in a bit and post a picture if needed.....  

Paw state 8 X 6 prop swing max....for this engine ..

I have a model in mind for this little beauty....just waiting for bonfire night and rocket sticks galore....

The 19 is probably going into a sas skitsue that I have wings and templates for, a slope soarer ( still got the original one, 2ch e+a and a great flyer ) originally.

Powered it's probably gunna be quite fast...

Edited by Rich Griff

Hi Guys

Pat

Yes, had considered sidewinder, but the issue is this. Model is a SAS Blob, now re-kitted by NJR modelling. It has 1.5mm ply sides, and no internal formers, so I would have to invent some form of internal structure to hold the motor in place.

The model is all ply, with foam wings, so is going to come out fairly heavy anyway. Not sure if adding extra weight would help rather than hinder.

I do have an electric set up that would suit, but rather fancy the idea of a diesel.

Rich

Thanks again. That's more like it.

Wondering if the 1.49 would have enough power for the model. Did spot this little beauty on e-bay. Doesn't have an rc carb, but given the limited power, would I be running less than flat out anyway?

Decisions, decisions.

Jeff

It's always good to have a means of shutting down or off the wild animal of an engine at the front, be it a throttle and carb or an RC controlled fuel cut off...

Diesel fuel line is a bit hard but a short section of silicon glow fuel tubing ( easily hassle free replaceable ) that a servo horn or similar can crush, and block off fuel, meaning the engine will die, is much safer for everybody including the plane.

Having to fight an overpowered or underpowered plane for a tank run of 10 mins is real fun...

Remember the drone that landed in a kids pram....

Don't think that a diesel is gunna stop just because it's chopping your fingers off !

Think safety...

Edited by Rich Griff

Hi Rich

£22 model plane, eh? What's that all about?

Meanwhile, motor for the Blob seems to have sold itself.

Scored a 15FP off e-bay for a very reasonable price. See what it's like when it arrives, but looks pretty much brand new in the pictures.

Taking a bit of a chance, because it's listed as 'for parts or not working' but I think this is only because the seller has not tested it.

We'll see

Jeff