Eric Clutton

David perry 1

RIP Eric, Most well known in the light aircraft world for his FRED [ flying runabout experimental design ] a parasol wing homebuilt type [saw one at my local airfield not so long ago ]  In the model world most well known for his Sharkface, still a popular small model.

Very sad to hear this!

I forget how many "Sharkfaces" I've built down the years, but it was my first really successful RC model! There was also the "Tadpole", a slightly smaller, tail-less design. Both flew very well, the Sharkface in particular able to vanish up wind in a howling gale, with only a Cox Babe Bee up front!

I really ought to build another now, in his memory...!

--

Pete

Just to relate, this machine, single channel, was a very early foray into scientific method. 
As in, there is a better way than chuck anything vaguely plane like into the air.

And I recall the hoots of victory, a flight without damage. That’s less than a minute. No one told us that a cox needed better fuel than we wanted to pay.

"Sharkface" was my 2nd ever rc model. an absolute blast to fly. Back in the 70's (i'm aprevious life)  i was teaching CDT & Technical Drawing  at a school in Crewe. Eric joined the department for a year to cover for a colleague who was away on a course.He soon had the kids flying chuck gliders on the field, there was control line in the playground & round the pole in the hall. The kids loved it.

He used to tow "Fred" behind his Ford Anglia with the wings folded & the tailplane on the roof rack. Fred sported a German WW1 lozenge camouflage scheme which he had painted with a 1/2 " paint brush.

At the end of the year he moved on to another school in Crewe where he continued his activities by constructing a 'real aeroplane' , full size though not to fly. Kids would ask at lunchtime , " Please sir, can I make another wing rib.

One of life's characters. Happy days.