Cambrian Fighters of the Fifties.....Viable for PSS?

perry atkins

Sorry, no experience of these Perry but how well they perform as gliders on the slope might depend on the wing section used. 
I looked at the Flair ‘Jet Set’ Lightening back in the day but it’s very thick flat bottomed wing section put me off a bit although their Hawker Hunter flew well by all accounts.

these Cambrian models appear to be out of stock unless you have access to an old kit.

• Like 1

Of the 4 the Panther is looks the most likely to fly well on the slope, as it has a pretty straight and high a/r wing. As Piers says though, the wing section combined with the typoe and saize of hill you are flying at will be the dominant factors in your success - of a round topped coastal site almost anything will fly well, but for a smaller, more turbulent inland site your airframe needs to be more efficient.

The smaller Cambrian fun-fighters can make decent PSS models, especially if you can keep them light, since they do have a reasonably thin airfoil. I don't know whether the larger Cambrian Fighters of the Fifties have similar sections, but would imagine that they probably do.

That's in contrast to the WestField range of simple jet fighters - P-80, F-86, Mig-29 - which have simple flat plate wings, which I wouldn't have thought would excel on the slope.

7 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

The smaller Cambrian fun-fighters can make decent PSS models, especially if you can keep them light, since they do have a reasonably thin airfoil. I don't know whether the larger Cambrian Fighters of the Fifties have similar sections, but would imagine that they probably do.

That's in contrast to the WestField range of simple jet fighters - P-80, F-86, Mig-29 - which have simple flat plate wings, which I wouldn't have thought would excel on the slope.

large.862904.jpg.80fffe886f626c88bca052c5f2970646.jpg

Flat plate wings do work on the slope. My Tony Nijhuis Hawk (a contemporary to the Westfield kits) has done lots of flying.

There is a Cambrian F86D in the PSSA that is waiting for a maiden. No reason to suppose it won't go well in the right conditions as it is similar to the mass build Sabre. You just need a good slope and some good lift and most things will go!

• Like 1