Choosing your Model

Stephen Grigg

As a 64 Year old Beginner,Who found model A/C flying purely by chance this year,I admit Ive wasted a lot of mtoney by the wrong choice  of model for my inexperience.I didnt expect to join a club because I was just going to have abit of fun in a field,Having no local model shop to seek advice,I purchased RCM&E and scoured the Ads.I didnt have a clue.Every shop I sort advice from offered a different model,I became Confused.com.Electric or IC, IC or electric.Electric seemed convenient so that was the. choice ARTF made easier,so after 2 total failures chosen by heart not head I purchased a complete Multiplex Easistar.When I gave it its maiden flight, I lost it It  did 2 lefts and 1 straight on&on &on etc.Ifound it a week later a servo blown.I joined a club,and when my instrutor saw my Extro 300 he said NO.When he saw my 3D he said NO.So now I have a cupboard full of A/C Im incapable of flying.The  joining Of a Club is the  only way to start.The pool of information is bottomless and most important Free

Advert

Hi Stephen, sorry to hear of your poor experiences, but crashing a few along the way is all part of the experience I am afraid. If you still fancy electric stuff ( and why wouldnt you, after all you sound an intelligent guy ) and If you can ignore the appearance and concentrate more on the practicality, then this is the model I always recommend to complete newbies. Its beauty is in its simplicity and almost complete indestructibility.

It also has the advantage of being slightly larger ( easier to see ! ) and can fly in windy conditions too - yet is safe enough for the average large park - requiring a simple hand launch into the blue yonder.

Once you have a few hours under your belt with this one THEN move on to something nicer.

At a shade under £50 including the motor and speed controller its excellent VFM IMO.

PS I have NO connection at all with flying wings.co.uk. other than owning 2 of their models ( the “Supafly” and the “Slipstream” soarer ) and being very satisfied with both.

3D and sports models can be good learning platforms when the rates are dialled down.*

I did most of my basic learning on a PA Addiction. Which Timbo feels is a bit delicate, but the balance is that it is very very easy to control/predict so crashing is less likely in the first place.

I have a hornet from flyingwings, this would make a great back garden trainer, Complete replacement foam £12.

Regards

Andy

* -- trainee rates low, instructor rates high seems to be the normal approach.

Eric Bray wrote (see)

Come on, guys, the flappy bits on the trailing edge of the wing are AILERONS, nor airolons, or other variations!

Quite why, I never found out, because the names for all the other bits are self-explanatory! (Elevator - controls elevation, rudder (pinched from the nautical) steers, etc.).

a French word meaning "little wing"

This is quite an interesting little read if a little off topic

• 3 weeks later...