Cambrian Elan 100 Build

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy few weeks.

Well the Elan is finished!

20221016_152015.thumb.jpg.fc2c468ab410f231c6adc3720111fe19.jpg20221016_152056.thumb.jpg.ce1254a66924f57789a48632fecaa666.jpg

There was plenty of room up front for the motor and battery and my 3s 2200 leaves the CG in exactly the right place. I flew her on Sunday and she feels nose heavy so I think I'll Put a smaller battery in to shift the CG slightly aft.

There are still some decals to put on but I'm pleased with how she came out

Gary

• Like 6

I got some decals on and sorted the trim for the elevator. I bought some smaller batteries in an attempt to move the CG back but I don't like how tail heavy it makes her.  One thing I will try is leaving the CG and having the motor brake on as it was windmilling last time and I reckon that will at some drag at the front.

20221025_162923.thumb.jpg.87226c9c39849fd905317e59c2753fd3.jpg

Has anyone tried a CG other than the 77mm suggested?

Gary

• Like 2

Another couple of flights with the Elan today. The CG is ideal now the elevator is setup better and it just stays airborne for ages! I now see what you guys were saying about spoilers.....I think it took me 4 attempts on my first flight today to land withing 50m of my intended spot! I'm still getting used to gliders so by the end of the day I managed to get it low enough to fly the final turn and come in at sensible speed.

Lovely looking aircraft and flys great. Really enjoying the relaxed nature of gliding

Gary

• Like 3

Model looks great Gary. Nice to hear that you're enjoying gliding. 👍

Have you tried using the prop as a spoiler ? 

On approach open the the throttle just enough to get the motor running, which takes the brake off allowing the prop to freewheel when you dip the nose. This will steepen the descent without the model speeding up appreciably, just don't forget to close the throttle int time before touch down.

Another way to steepen the descent is to weave left & right alternately on the approach. Trick here is to time each changeover of rudder direction just as the initial yaw response changes to bank.  

I had a quick flight this morning before the rain started and the prop braking worked well. 

I definitely see me building another glider and would like something with a more complex wing.  What recommendations would you guys have? I still want a traditional built but I'm also building a Brian Taylor Spitfire so it will be when I want a break from that!

Gary