Chris Foss Slope Glider Middle Phase 2

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help as I'm new to this hobby,

I've just bought an old second hand middle phase 2 glider and i thought a could fit a prop to use with an electric motor so i can use the glider at my local airfield, just enquiring if this is possible at all ?

Thanks in advance for any replies with any guidance on spec's should it be possible.

Cheers

Steve

4 hours ago, Tim Chambers said:

Oh and it might need some downthrust ,I put a packing piece behind the top of the mount.

4 hours ago, Tim Chambers said:

Oh and it might need some downthrust ,I put a packing piece behind the top of the mount.

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your reply , so it can be done , would you be able to advise me of the size of motor and battery that you are using, I have several 3 cell 2200 mah, just wondering they might be a bit on the heavy side ?

The glider' nose piece is separate and plenty of room for the battery.

Cheers

Steve

OK, so not exactly a newbie then which was my main concern.

3 cell 2200 should be usable, just need to be able to position it to give the correct CG.

A couple of hundred watts should be adequate, 300 watts if you want to fly it like you stole it.

Other than that Tim's advice to cut the nose off and fit a firewall and screw the motor to it makes sense. 

Alternatively do what I did with my Cumulus and make an over wing power pod and keep the nose intact.

Hi Steve, why don’t you give George Worley of 4Max a ring and ask him what he recommends? He has a list of recommended setups for different models.

https://www.4-max.co.uk/recommended-setups.htm
I would have thought a 28mm dia. motor of about 1000kv and  appx 200W would be in the right ballpark. It really depends on what sort of performance you are looking for.

Buy a Wattmeter too if you don’t already have one, I suggest. Very useful for choosing props etc.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

On 01/09/2022 at 19:29, Shaun Walsh said:

OK, so not exactly a newbie then which was my main concern.

3 cell 2200 should be usable, just need to be able to position it to give the correct CG.

A couple of hundred watts should be adequate, 300 watts if you want to fly it like you stole it.

Other than that Tim's advice to cut the nose off and fit a firewall and screw the motor to it makes sense. 

Alternatively do what I did with my Cumulus and make an over wing power pod and keep the nose intact.

Many thanks for your reply Shaun ,never thought of an over wing power pod as an option I'll give it some thought.

Cheers

Steve

On 01/09/2022 at 19:51, Tim Chambers said:

I used a 3s 2200 mAh lipo (see photo) because thats what I had, the motor is a 2200 kv I think, because thats what I had, but you could probably use a much smaller motor I only use about 2/3rds power for a steep climb.

Hi Tim,

Many thanks again for your reply and info.

Cheers Steve

On 07/09/2022 at 12:21, Frank Skilbeck said:

Steve before you start to butcher your Middle Phase you might want to give it a go on the slope, I know one newbie at our club many years ago, got a Middle Phase to join us on the slope, he enjoyed that so much that he gave up on the power stuff. 

Hi Frank, Thank you for your comment , i will give it some thought , Many thanks Steve

On 02/09/2022 at 08:19, Piers Bowlan said:

Hi Steve, why don’t you give George Worley of 4Max a ring and ask him what he recommends? He has a list of recommended setups for different models.

https://www.4-max.co.uk/recommended-setups.htm
I would have thought a 28mm dia. motor of about 1000kv and  appx 200W would be in the right ballpark. It really depends on what sort of performance you are looking for.

Buy a Wattmeter too if you don’t already have one, I suggest. Very useful for choosing props etc.

Hi Piers, Thank you for your reply and information provided, I'll have a look to see if there is anything suitable. Many thanks Steve