recoomendations for laser-cut wing ribs

Advert

Hi Tony,

If you are doing a straight wing then I would suggest making a template from stiff card or thin ply and use that to cut your ribs out.

Otherwise I know there are places that can laser cut parts for you but as they are a one off they tend to be a bit pricey.

Failing that, pick a plan from someone like Sarik who can do short kits with the plan.

52 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Hi Tony,

If you are doing a straight wing then I would suggest making a template from stiff card or thin ply and use that to cut your ribs out.

Otherwise I know there are places that can laser cut parts for you but as they are a one off they tend to be a bit pricey.

Failing that, pick a plan from someone like Sarik who can do short kits with the plan.

Thanks Andy. The Bird Dog isn't a wholly straight wing, and I really don't want the labour of making 3-4 different sizes of rib. I've already started building from a plan, scaled down, and I don't want to abandon it - though there is a nice Bird Dog from Sarik. Happy to pay a few quid for accurate bespoke ribs.

rgds Tony

13 hours ago, Tony Harrison 2 said:

Thanks Andy. The Bird Dog isn't a wholly straight wing, and I really don't want the labour of making 3-4 different sizes of rib. I've already started building from a plan, scaled down, and I don't want to abandon it - though there is a nice Bird Dog from Sarik. Happy to pay a few quid for accurate bespoke ribs.

rgds Tony

It is great that there are companies like iGul, SLEC and Sarik who will provide this kind of laser cutting service. Perhaps I am unusual (odd?) but I actually enjoy cutting out ribs, finding it quite therapeutic! On the other hand I am not so keen on covering or putting a finish on a model. Horses for courses I suppose.

Wing ribs are ok, not my favourite woodwork job. It is however made much easier with some rib plotting software and a reasonable printer to make templates. For a one off it is probably quicker than getting the required files sent back and forward to a cutter.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a pre rolled set for a magazine plan though.

15 hours ago, Tony Harrison 2 said:

Thanks John, I'll consult SLEC.

rgds Tony

Hi, I have used Chris at SLEC a number of times from complex rescales/multiple part wings to simple stuff, just depends on the cost, ease of construction and where you get your wood from.

Very satisfied with the work and assistance everyone at SLEC has given over the years.

7 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

Hi, I have used Chris at SLEC a number of times from complex rescales/multiple part wings to simple stuff, just depends on the cost, ease of construction and where you get your wood from.

Very satisfied with the work and assistance everyone at SLEC has given over the years.

That's useful to know, Chris - willcontact SLEC when I'm back in the UK and ready to re-start my plane build.

rgds Tony