Electronic Conspicuity trial in operation at 4 model flying sites

John Lee

This is what the beacon looks like. I understand it is powered from a 12V battery.

It transmits it's physical location and NOTAM data, so is able to warn full size aircraft of model flying activity. It is only switched on while model flying is taking place.

-beacon.jpg.b1d77a7ea053a33db07e1c414f2ad1ce.jpg

A full size aircraft, equipped with the appropriate display and software, will see a white triangle with height information. In the small image you may see 1.7 and +4.7^. The 1.7 is the height limit (1700 ft) and the 4.7 (4700 ft) is the minimum height the aircraft should attain, in this case as it has been set to 3000 ft clearance.

controlled-area-map.jpg.06194a8dc8531f11ec358dc6774e8902.jpg

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

That's true... some would be just as likely to avoid a 'beacon' on our fields...... unless they had a sort of airborne tacograph.

I suspect this is more for drones that would automatically take the necessary action.

Not according to the link posted in post 1 it isn't, at least not for now (remember there is almost no BVLOS SUAS operations going on at this point beyond the odd trial in the Scottish islands)...

https://uavionix.com/projects/UKObsBeacon/

Edited by MattyB

9 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Okay, to rephrase, we"re assuming a permanent / temporary structure at our flying field.

Exactly my point, it'd be VERY temporary with our vandals.

SO, it even comes with a free 12v battery, excellent news for the vandals, great thinking.

I only hope to be a real test at least one of the four trial sites comes with the non-optional urban vandals built in, they might then realise what we are up against 24/7/365.

If you watch Bruce Simpson's Youtube Channel he's developed a hand-held ADSB alarm which seems to work very well. I beleive the design is open source and can be made by anyone with a bit of knowledge about soldering and arduinos.... Interesting stuff. Because his model flying club is at an active GA landing field his alarm warns whenever any light aircraft comes close (within 5 miles).

KB

• Like 1