Saito 125 Carb barrel spring

David Ovenden

A question to those of you with a Saito 125. Does it have a spring in the carb to push the throttle barrel out as it opens? Obviously there is diagonal slot in the barrel which (with retaining screw in the body) causes the barrel to move in and out and controls the mid/low mixture. But should it have a spring too. My Saito 115 has a spring. But the 125 instruction manual doesn't seem to show one; and on the Macgregor site the photo of the replacement throttle barrel for the125 doesn't show a spring, whereas the photo for the 115 does.

So does anyone you know if the 125 should have a barrel spring or not?

saito 115 thottle spring.jpg

Edited by David Ovenden
photo added

Advert

Yes, I have the manual and (although the picture is a bit vague) I couldn't see a spring shown.

Which begs the question, why do the saito 82, 100, 115, 120 etc all have springs but not the 125? Cost cutting? Surely not. I suppose it must work OK without one.

Though mine seems to lack a bit of precision in returning to the same tickl-over rpm, which is why I was investigating the carb. Will give a clean up in the ultrasonic cleaner and retry.

Edited by David Ovenden

If there isn't a spring in the carb then it's missing and there should be one in there. I have noticed that these springs can be of such light gauge wire that they can be almost invisible so it could be missed by the casual observer.

I had a carb on a 2 stroke that had taken a knock and wouldn't give any kind of consistent running. The cause was a slight bend in part of the carb, it was catching barrel and not allowing the spring to do its work.