Can't download firmware to X9D+

Stephen Belshaw

Having left the update path well alone for three years and happily bumbled along on 2.2.4 I decided to bite the bullet and update to 2.3. I started with backing up all existing files and then  downloading Companion 2.3.7 to my MacBook, got the radio settings in and went for the "download firmware". At this point I got a "Unable to save the file: read-only file system". I thought I might be able to work around this by getting the firmware direct from OpenTx but it can only be acquired through Companion, so I'm stumped.

Anyone know what the problem is (I suspect it is the Mac OS) and, more hopefully, what a solution might be? Or should I just buy an X20 with Ethos??!

Advert

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I download the Companion App 2.3.7 and the corresponding SD Card contents, I delete all the older files on the SD card and load the new files. So far so good. I open Companion 2.3.7 in order to flash the new firmware to the radio, click on the "download firmware" option from the download pop up window, get a quick blue flash which I presume is the download and then a prompt to save it. It's at this point that I get the "Unable to save the file: read-only file system".

I can't see any other way of loading the firmware.

Denis, is the process you describe on the computer or the TX, bear in mind in mind I'm on a Mac? The SD card has no lock on it.

Andy, yes I thought about that and tried to use that method but I can't find the Firmware! The 2.3.7 that I loaded on Companion has no firmware file, the SD card content has a firmware folder but only has read only content in it.

I have followed the Oscar Lang guide for flashing firmware, which seems simple enough, but always stumbles at the "download firmware" bit which is where I get the error message.

It seems the Firmware is somehow missing or my Mac can't locate it?? 

Edit: just looked again at the SD card contents (2.3.7) I have loaded and Eeprom, Firmware, Images, Logs, Models etc. are all readme.tex with no content. Is that right?

Edited by Stephen Belshaw

1 hour ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

Denis, is the process you describe on the computer or the TX, bear in mind in mind I'm on a Mac? The SD card has no lock on it.

The procedure above is for the Mac

But I did not say load the SD card into the Mac

Load your SD card into the Mac

Locate your folder or file on the screen and right click

Change read only to

Read write and click APPLY

Edited by Denis Watkins

Ok, somehow I've managed to load Companion 2.3.15 on to my Mac and the same version Firmware on to the radio along with the appropriate SD card. Checked with a model and all seems to be working.

But I have no sounds, the files are on the SD card and can individually be seen when connected to computer but are not visible on the Tx (if that matters).

I have now resolved the SD card issue, I used Disk Utility on my Mac to erase the SD card and re-format to FAT32. I then went back to Companion and used the Synchro SD option again, this time it worked!

The problem was obviously the SD card not being properly erased, as alluded to by Andy a few posts back. So I now have a fully functioning Taranis having gone from 2.2.4 to 2.3.15 in one go.

Thanks all for your input, we got there in the end plus a valuable bit of knowledge gained by me from the experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

I have now resolved the SD card issue, I used Disk Utility on my Mac to erase the SD card and re-format to FAT32. I then went back to Companion and used the Synchro SD option again, this time it worked!

The problem was obviously the SD card not being properly erased, as alluded to by Andy a few posts back. So I now have a fully functioning Taranis having gone from 2.2.4 to 2.3.15 in one go.

Thanks all for your input, we got there in the end plus a valuable bit of knowledge gained by me from the experience.

Probably would have been easier to backup the SD card, reformat it and copy the files directly from the website via the Mac and onto the SD card.

As for the volume settings, look at the documentation I gave a link to earlier. Everything your will ever need about OpenTX is in there, and saves sifting through tedious long videos to find the 15 seconds you actually need. That documentation and its earlier version has now been downloaded over 250,000 times.

Edited by Andy48
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've just hit the same or a very similar issue:  my MacBook Air recently upgraded to Ventura 13.1 operating system, and now my original Companion 2.2.4 won't recognise my X9D+ at all!  Nor will it allow me to download any later versions of Companion from Open-TX.org - I get this message:

990334815_Screenshot2023-02-13at18_24_19.png.ffc1feeb2f659c902e9742d164fbdf5e.png

While I've been extremely happy with the X9D+ (pre-2019) and have learnt to programme it from its own screen to do everything I want it to do, I've no interest in wasting half my life troubleshooting or finding workarounds for the whole Companion side of things, let alone the new nightmare of the Mac OS stonewalling the TX!

All I want to be able to do is save the contents of the SD card to my laptop, so if the TX gets abducted by aliens I can simply load the backup onto the SD card in my spare X9D+.

I'm going to try the method advised above of removing the SD card from the TX and and saving it to the laptop... but unlike my old MacBook Pro the Air doesn't have a SD slot... so I have to buy an adaptor for the USB-C port!

But that doesn't solve the problem of downloading templates (which I do use), e.g. from RC-Soar... which I've always loaded onto the TX using Companion!

Ugh!?

Edited by Jonathan M

When it comes to OpenTX/EdgeTX, the Max versions of Companion have always been less well tested. I suspect it will always be this as the developers involved have always tended to favour PCs. My best suggestion (you may not like this though) is to get yourself a secondhand PC to use with your TX, pretty much anything should do.

• Like 1

You're right GG, its the Mac and its OS that's the real issue.

I don't really fancy going down the route of a Windows emulator on the Mac (more complexity!) but I've got very old little Lenovo PC tablet with a keyboard (my lad's first computer, that I later stripped out of all its bloatware to just run Picasim via an HDMI cable to the telly), so I'll use this for Companion.

The simple solutions are usually the best!