Designing with Fusion 360

Erfolg

Many years ago I was taught Technical Drawing and its conventions.

Much later attended a course to learn about AutoCad.

Perhaps a little earlier or maybe later I attended a course of how to use a early 3d modeling package. As part of my education much earlier I had been taught (with exams) about the concepts of modeling (in all of its forms) and used a wire frame modeling package.

So where is this leading I can hear you think. Well, I am coping with using Fusion, although ofetn taken by surprise that mywork is not as useful and flexible as I would like and want.

With AutoCAD, it is possible to draw a line relative to the "World Co-ordinates, then do ofsets to place other lines, click onto nodes (or switch them off) and do other things. The tools available are many and pretty obvious.

When I stared with fusion I would place lines, from which I would generate other lines to create things such as intersection for circles and so on. Thereafter I use trim to get rid of these unwanted lines to leave a primitive, which I would extrude. Much to my surprise I later found that if I wanted to move a circle, by an amount, when using the modify listing, most of the dimensions were not there, they had gone with the erased construction lines, and so on.

Now I do much the same, but dimension the object after, erasing most construction lines. I now have dimensions to adjust subsequently.

Now all of this is tedious, I assume that there is a strategy that achieves what I want, that is more efficient in time and ease of design.

So what is this strategy? I need educating on todays methodology, as much, if not all, is now irrelevant that I previously was taught and learnt. Yep, the world moves on leaving dinosaurs way behind,

Advert

I mainly do 2 drawings and got a city and guilds in autocad for dos, with 2 screens, 1 for commands such as line, circle etc. and the other for the drawing. while it's not free any more I use a program called draftsight which has full autocad command line capability which I use all the time. I prefer typing line, circle etc rather than trying to find the icon on the toolbar

they also do a 3d version of the software, again not free but a 30day trial is available