Vive la diffèrence

Don Fry

I went to my (French) clubs AGM this afternoon. Looking at the accounts, I noted with a smile, expenditure of €253 for beer, whiskey, wine and Pernod. Nuts, crisps and nibbles was a separate small sum. We do not pay for our Foie Gras, as family of a member produces it. Nice stuff, they supply Air France. We have a big trailer to carry the clubs dining tent, tables, plancha et al. I noted that somehow we had earned €600 hire fees on it. My gast was flabbered.
No increase on fees, €60, inc insurance.

• Like 1

Advert

Our club has a membership of thirty-three men, plus several ladies who rarely fly and a thirteen year-old lad who can outfly everybody else except his dad! Unlike in England where pilots turn up in the morning, have a sandwich for lunch and then retire to the pub to discuss the flights of the day and any future projects, in France the hours 12.00-14.00 are sacred! Consequently they don't arrive until after lunch. At about 16.00 the president suggests that we could retire to the club house to "boire un coup." Beer, Ricard, whiskey and soft drinks are supplied by the club and members fight to pay a round. We charge 1.25€ for each drink. Yesterday there were eleven of us there so my "maiden flight round" cost me 13.75€. A record of everyone's purchases is kept and we settle up at the beginning of the following month. A similar "session" is held at the end of the day's flying.

I don't have the club's financial records to hand but it could be said that our club floats on a sea of beer! We certainly have over 7000€ in the bank! Club fees are 65€ annually. This includes registration with the FFAM, the equivalent of the BMFA in England and Wales.

Edited by David Davis 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1