Beginner looking for advice.

Allan Bennett

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I've got an Ender 3 coming for Christmas, so while waiting to unwrap it I've been finding my way around Fusion 360.

I've managed to design a bracket I need to mount a GPS module on one of my helis.  It will straddle the heli frame, with the top piece level for mounting the GPS.  My initial questions are:

• The sides and top piece are 2mm thick, but I would prefer thinner, say 1.5mm.  Will this be rigid and robust enough when 3D printed?
  • Seems to me the right way to print it will be lying on its back, like in the second screenshot, as this will result in filaments running up the sides and over the top, rather than crossways in each side.  Am I approaching it the right way?

Undoubtedly I'll get more tips when I open the Ender box (presuming there is a manual!)Clipboard02.jpg.e192aee89b9160f11dbabcb695123ca4.jpgClipboard03.jpg.bad65dcafcb405d046d0b3e0e9a5d679.jpg, but I'd like to be able to hit the ground running when I do, so advice on these two matters will help.

Allen

I think you may be disappointed at its weight rather than its strength. 3D printing filaments are strong but large areas tend to rather heavy.

Is there any way you could design a smaller bracket for the GPS that could rigidly fixed to something on the copter's frame? 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Have you installed the slicer program for your printer? 

It is very informative to put your 3D model through the slicing process and look at how it will be built. You will see where the layers go, and it will show the weight of filament used. Making a 3D printed object thinner does not reduce the weight that much because the middle is not solid, you probably use 10-15% infill. The weight is in the skin where default settings might have 2-4 layers of filament on the outside and more on top an bottom surfaces, to give the best surface finish. You can change the settings for fewer layers, which can save a lot of weight on some structures. 

Aahhh, good thing I asked before I got too far -- a lot to learn!

I've Googled, and see there's a slicer for Fusion 360 and one for Ender 3.  Seems like the Fusion 360 version is no longer supported so I'll look for the Ender 3 version.

The bracket has already been prototyped in balsa, and really needs to be something like that size and shape to keep the GPS/compass unit as far away as possible from other electronics and hatch magnets in the heli.  I'll be interested to see what slicing does to it, and I could also make the side supports into lattices to save weight.

Both Cura and Prusa slicers have drivers for the Ender 3 (I know, I use both). As Dad_flyer says, you can slice the model in the slicer software to see how it’ll be built once the g code file is run by the printer. It’s worth noting that if you orientate the model with a large area flat down on the printer bed, you may have a job removing it once the print is finished and the bed cooled.

Incidentally, I found this video on YouTube far better when it came to assembling and aligning the printer, than trying to follow the supplied instructions.