La Coupe Des Barons 2023.

I took both of the Barons to the flying field today, not to fly, it was too windy, but to check the fuel consumption. The Ukrainian Baron was placed in the Best Mate stand and the engine, a Thunder Tiger 54, was started. Having adjusted the main needle for optimum rpm, the engine was stopped and the tank refilled. The tank is the smallest available here in France, 90cc or about 3 fluid ozs. The engine was left running continuously at maximum speed until it had exhausted all of the fuel and stopped. It had run flat out for 13 minutes and 58 seconds.

As each round of La Coupe Des Barons lasts for only five minutes, I have sufficient fuel in this little tank for each round. Only the pylon race requires continuous high speed running. I didn't bother checking the fuel consumption of the other Baron. It's Magnum 52 would have been similarly frugal!

• Like 1

Advert

The Ukrainian Baron suddenly went out of control yesterday and crashed into a field of wheat. We spent hours looking for it without success. Fortunately I still have the RNAS Baron which is not as stable as the other one but it will do. The engine, a Magnum 52 is not as powerful as the Thunder Tiger 54 in my other Baron but it does the job.

Edited by David Davis
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@ Don Fry. The RNAS Baron piloted by Edward Bertie Bear has a reduced dihedral. I deliberately planned to build it like this because I wanted to make the model more responsive. I also ended up accidentally making the wing five inches shorter than it should be which has of course made the wing loading higher. Consequently it's not quite so easy to fly as the Ukrainian Baron.

We spent a couple of hours yesterday looking for the Ukrainian Baron without success, then Benoit fired up his "paramoteur," whatever they are in English, and he found it immediately! It had crashed into the other side of the hedge which separated two fields. Frans and I had been within two metres of it without realising! The  wing is in two pieces and the tail is loose on the fuselage mount but the fuselage itself seems to be sound. I had made the longerons out of basswood rather than balsa so that may be the reason why it survived.

I have not yet examined the wreckage to see what caused the crash. Photo to follow.

We are off to La Coupe tomorrow with Bertie Baron!

Edited by David Davis 2

I'm afraid that I didn't do at all well this year and have probably finished dead last from a field of about seventy pilots who turned up.

The Ukarinian Baron being hors de combat I was forced to use my British Baron which is a bit less stable with a reduced wing area. Frans, Tiko and I drove down to the flying field on the Friday, a four and a half hour drive, and camped in tents overnight. It rained a lot but the tents were water proof.

We were drawn in the last group along with three other four stroke users. The first round involves hitting one-metre high balsa wood sticks . We were all in the air when two of the other Barons hit the ground. We were told to fly high to allow a couple of lads to retrieve the crashed models. I was some distance downwind when my Baron seemed to fall out of control and hit the ground. We recovered it, found nothing untoward so I'm quite prepared to admit to pilot error. We repaired it, wonderful stuff cyano, but we were too late to enter the second round. So having crashed two Barons in ten days I felt rather demoralised so I decided to pack up and go home. Arrived home four hours later very tired.

Next year I plan to enter a Baron powered by a Laser 50 but I don't like driving long distances these days. We'll see.

• Sad 1

On 14/05/2023 at 09:06, David Davis 2 said:

Thank you JD8. I have a Spektrum DX9. I haven't a clue how to program the computer to achieve this result but I'll look into it.

Alternatively, add a enough down thrust to avoid the pitch up when powering up. That doesn't require any mixing and is also a better solution.