TN Concorde - Second build

Gsky

Hi All,

I manged to convince my better half to get me another plane for Christmas and she choose the TN concorde from the wishlist.

As the title suggests this is only my second build so will probably be a challenge but i love the plane so hopefully that will motivate me to finish it. 

I need to order some glues and bits before getting fully stuck in. i'll try and send some updates as it goes. 

im sure i'll have plenty of questions.

concorde kit.jpg

Advert

Hi Gsky

excellent, I’ve subscribed to your thread 

if you take your time you will be fine and will enjoy it.  I made mine a few year back, one of the challenges is keeping the fuse straight and narrow.   Not shown in this pic but I used some angled Ali from b&Q to jig it straight as I added the stringers 

I think for retracts hobby king did a version that fitted exactly but that’s if they still have them

8E15368E-47E2-4E61-BC04-3680A36500FE.jpeg

Did this work Craig? You never did tell me. Spoke to TN but he could not remember which fans he fitted but I would swear that they were the same as the 3s ones I have. He suggested to try 4s on them because the long wiring would reduce the voltage, but would need to greatly increase the battery hatch size. For various reasons I have never got round to doing it.

• Like 1

Gsky,

You are very brave attempting this considering that it is only the second ever and an expensive model if it does not work out. I have been at it for 63 years now and this caused me problems, some due to trying previously untested materials. Search as I may I cannot now find my original build blog for this but the pics should still be on an old laptop.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2023 at 07:17, Craig Carr said:

Hi Gsky

excellent, I’ve subscribed to your thread 

if you take your time you will be fine and will enjoy it.  I made mine a few year back, one of the challenges is keeping the fuse straight and narrow.   Not shown in this pic but I used some angled Ali from b&Q to jig it straight as I added the stringers 

I think for retracts hobby king did a version that fitted exactly but that’s if they still have them

8E15368E-47E2-4E61-BC04-3680A36500FE.jpeg

thanks Craig I’ll have to give that a try with the Ali angle. Keeping the fus straight will be a challenge. 

On 28/01/2023 at 15:49, Martin McIntosh said:

Gsky,

You are very brave attempting this considering that it is only the second ever and an expensive model if it does not work out. I have been at it for 63 years now and this caused me problems, some due to trying previously untested materials. Search as I may I cannot now find my original build blog for this but the pics should still be on an old laptop.

Good luck.

thanks martin. Yes probably a silly idea but this model makes me so happy even just sitting on my boat in pieces. 

So I’ve finally had my glues arrive going to use thin ca to rack in place and bought some aliphatic as I’ve heard some good things

started pining things in place.

before I glue anything did anyone have this gap between LE1 and R2/R6. I’ve chocked up the le 9mm as the plan states but look like it’s got a 4mm gap.

Did anyone have to chock it 14mm or sand down the tabs to fit?

92548941-9FFA-485A-ABDD-EE5A518B185A.jpeg

5B8E6E50-BB74-41D2-AA06-872E3286E1EE.jpeg

FA887EE3-A26D-4FB0-9A16-D424308BE519.jpeg

9741AF55-8EDB-4015-8E0A-946A687BF0ED.jpeg

0E882E8B-9940-44F2-8C30-1D026AD9F698.jpeg

Hi gary

i can’t fully recall now to be honest, I would have to check the plans but from memory are the chocks shown on the plan at different heights at various key locations around the wing?

ie I don’t think it was just one chock at 9mm but various chocks at different heights ?

I don’t think I had a massive (if any)  imbalance ..  I’ll dig the plans out tomorrow evening after work and have a look 

Edited by Craig Carr

26 minutes ago, Craig Carr said:

Hi gary

i can’t fully recall now to be honest, I would have to check the plans but from memory are the chocks shown on the plan at different heights at various key locations around the wing?

ie I don’t think it was just one chock at 9mm but various chocks at different heights ?

I don’t think I had a massive (if any)  imbalance ..  I’ll dig the plans out tomorrow evening after work and have a look 

thanks Craig, on the plan it reads to have 9mm at LE , 2mm at mid and 5mm at TE.

but at the 9mm point it seems to have a 4mm gap to the ribs. Ribs look ok at mid and TE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got round to doing the second wing structure. All went together smoothly so far.

Also managed to get some retracts for my bday present. the wheels are scary small but should be ok for summer freshly mown grass.

Balsa sheeting next

B703189F-B2B3-469C-AD5A-27E613B8A32D.jpeg

4C2007EA-08C8-41AD-A372-69D2F6FCB0D6.jpeg

FA04EBB9-7E1E-4BFB-B5B0-E95D7E3EA103.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

With winter well and truly here and lots of rainy weather, i decided it was time to get back on the Concorde build. got round to sheeting the top of the wings and gluing the UC bearers.

Pretty happy with the result, has some bumps but hopefully will sand out. had a small issue where the gap for WB1 closed up but hopefully will be an easy fix.

Also ordered the edf,servos and wiring pack from 4 max, went for the FMS fans. 1080g of thrust each should mean over 2:1 thrust to weight ratio which should help with takeoff!   

Been dreading doing the fuselage and keeping the formers straight but might try to setup a jig to help with it.

A few pics and video of progress.

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

• Like 8