Access to needle valve in enclosed cowl?

Kelly

Advert

I only use OS engines which have a hole in the end of the needle into which you can insert an OS needle extension or make one from piano wire. This is held in place with a crub screw which is located on the needle and loosened/tightened using an appropriate allen key. I do not know if other engine makes have this.

Hope this helps.

Russ

the vibration on my 90 4 st caused work hardening on the extension which eventually broke. ( the hole in the cowl for the extension had to be big enough for the bent over bit and this gave it all the room it needed to vibrate.)

I now use a tip picked up somewhere to put a piece of stiff neoprene ( or similar ) tubing over the needle long enough to reach the cowl - I then put a small hole in the cowl to match up and the tubing guides a screwdriver into the notch cut  ( dremel ) on the end of the needle

Just to add to above, I used the neoprene tubing for my 0.5cc diesel albon dart , but extended the tubing outside the cowl and simply turn the tubing to adjust the needle - you can just about feel the clicks as it turns.

I have used a mix of the methods suggested.

I cut a slot in the needle valve, a bit of heat  shrink  and hard  plastic tubing as found in a electrical connectors bits and bobs box from Aldi.

Photo of finished job

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc2/kelly2uk/P1010016a-1.jpg

Tiny hole in the cowl.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc2/kelly2uk/P1010017a-1.jpg

Thanks again for the advice

Kelvin