British Gas..............a sorry tale.

SIMON CRAGG

It could only happen to me!.

Due to one of our radiators at home being stuck on all the time, we triggered our British Gas cover, and an engineer turned up today.

He changed the TRV and at some point had to go in the attic to turn off the water.

I was in and out at work.

My wife was working from home.

With all my hanger queens in the attic, I thought I would just check after he had gone to make sure they were all ok.

To my horror, my large foamboard Vulcan was on the floor having collected my brand new Freewing F86 Sabre on the way.

Snapped tails, wingtip damage and lots of foam hanger rash.

At no point did the engineer say that he had knocked something / anything over.

Got in his van and pushed off.

After a bit of faffing about, I now have to wait up to 8 weeks for a suitable "damage report handler".

Oh, they did offer me a tenner!.

Deep joy.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Barryorbik said:

Sounds like you suffered from an updated version of Fanders and Swanns song "the Gas Man Cometh" !

Hope it all gets sorted quickly Simon.

Thanks Barry.

Its not so much the actual damage, its the way he just legged it without saying anything, as accidents do hapen.

How can you price up the damage when we all spend HOURS finishing . fettling / tinkering with our models.

And of course the prices of models these days is astronomic.

Could do without the problem anyway!.

How to price it up? Contact a professional model maker, get their hourly rate.

If British Gas don’t like the numbers, suggest they do it. And move them along, eight week wait for them to even start talking is a strategy for you to go away. Registered letters with reasonable return window for reply. No more than 10 working days. 

Then having turned down a remedy, County Court. 

Or life is too short. Difficult decision.

it's so galling when this sort of thing happens but can you be 100% sure that the BG man was at fault? When did you last inspect the models and found them to be OK? As you say, accidents do happen and I find it hard to understand why the chap decided to 'leg it' without saying anything. It would be no skin off his nose to report his accident and damage to your property as he'd be fully covered for putting his foot through a ceiling, causing a flood etc etc. A fly-by-night, ten quid an hour outfit I could perhaps understand, but the likes of BG and other big firms are usually pretty good with this sort of stuff.

On the other hand, I could recount the sad and sorry tale of the damage that a very well known vehicle main dealer inflicted on my wife's small car because of their sheer carelessness and incompetence a number of years ago. £700 worth of damage and the vehicle in a hazardous condition when it was returned to us as "all fixed". Their head office of the marque in question basically told me to get lost.

Could have taken it to law, but this was a particularly stressful time for the family because of various things going on at the time, so I simply never did business with them again and firmly told them in a very loud but non-threatening manner at their busy customer service desk the trouble they'd caused me. I insisted on dealing with the male service manager as there was no way I was going to possibly upset the pleasant young ladies on the desk who had nothing to do with their mechanics' ham fisted work. They did eventually put the problem right at their own expense, but I was still landed for the cost of their original botched job and nothing for the inconvenience and stress.

Sometimes these things are sent to try us, but good luck with getting your problem sorted.