SPEKTRUM iX12 Battery pack.

Robert Putley 1

I have a Spektrum iX12 transmitter, in which the battery has failed...only 6 months old. The pack is dated from 2017!!!  Anyway, I have  een waiting months for a replacement, so I decided to make up my own pack. Purchased three 3000mah Li-ion cells which are wired up in parallel.  Now the pack from the TX has the positive and negative wires wired in to a small PC board.

I would like to know the purpose of this.

Any ideas?

It's for battery protection. Controls charge and discharge current. Without it you run the risk of the iX12 onboard charger overcharging the cells. It does appear that all Spektrum iX12 batteries have the 2017 date on irrespective of when they were made/sold.

This data sheet might help: RS 7.8Ah LiPo Battery. This battery should fit the iX12.

49 minutes ago, Trevor Crook said:

Robert, out of interest, is the replacement battery being provided under warranty?

No, unfortunately not. I have just soldered up a pack of 3 x 3000mah cells wired in parrallel.  No PC board so wired in a Futaba plug for fast charging with one of my fast chargers. 

I have been waiting months for a replacement, so the above was my solution. 50% Increase in capacity, for less.cost.