Over regulations in Canada and US

Advert

Dear Clarence

It would be really useful if you would stop equating what is happening in the USA and Canada with how the CAA is handling the issue of drones and model aircraft in this country.  

Those of us who have been involved in model flying before the drone issue arose have seen the really excellent way in which the BMFA has pressed our case at both EU level with EASA and with the UK's DoT and CAA.  We have ended up with an excellent outcome which I'm sure that the USA and Canada model flyers will be envious of.

You are just scare mongering.  Please put some balance into your postings and don't assume that what happens in other countries will inevitably happen here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's not me equating BMFA with all other modeling organizations. I'm just conveying what I read and saw on related videos. So, I mistakenly thought you folks might want to know. My bad. Go ahead and shoot the messenger.

I've been warning the AMA and MAAC for decades that the hobby was slipping away. I've been in the hobby for over 50 years and seen it going south.

Both organizations also accused me of scare mongering. But it sure isn't as easy as it once was to get into the hobby. I have no trouble convincing people to get into RC aeromodelling...that is until I have to tell them of all the ever increasing legal hoops they have to jump through, then they have a change of heart.

So be it. Your organization is doing fine. I've seen your magazine and no doubt your organization sure appears like it's in better shape than it is here in the US and Canada.

I do envy of all the glow powered wood models I see in your magazine. Nothing but foamies and S.A.F.E. equipped trainers for beginners here in the US and Canada.

Cheers

Edited by Clarence Ragland

5 minutes ago, Clarence Ragland said:

But it sure isn't as easy as it once was to get into the hobby. I have no trouble convincing people to get into RC aeromodelling...that is until I have to tell them of all the ever increasing legal hoops they have to jump through, then they have a change of heart.

It's still very easy to get involved, sounds like you are part of the problem and exaggerating the "legal hoops" they have to jump through. The hurdles to participation are tiny and easily cleared and shouldn't put anyone off.

• Like 2

I agree with Peter about the well managed relationship between the CAA and our UK organisations but although this is primarily a UK based forum, we do have members and contributors world wide. 

What I would ask is that we limit any sensationalism - our friend Bruce has a certain reputation in this respect. 

The news from Canada and to some extent, the USA, shows the need for vigilance but I think the related thread started by Clarence yesterday covers the topic so I’ll lock this one before too much duplication occurs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2