Red Irvine 46. Black Carb. Made In England.

David Davis

I have just removed the bearings from my Irvine 46. To my surprise the front bearing has rubber seals on both sides.

Is this normal?

If so is this best practise? I have usually removed the inner seal from front bearings in the past.

I also own a red Irvine 40, black carb and made in England. Will this have the same bearings as the 46?                   

Advert

I always fit sealed bearings on Red Irvines especially the UK made ones but normally remove inner seal. Ive have had a few Red Irvine rebuilds that have a poor crank fit and will blow fuel out so it possible you have one of those. 

Main bearings should be the same for 40 and 46 , from memory  depending on variant . Best check before ordereing as there are a couple of variants . Look at Model Fixings bearing page for handy reference . I think they share the same crank shaft and are just bored differently but as i say vheck before ordering just in case. Will check that later if I don't get too busy.