C of G balancer recommendations

Tim Donald

Can anybody recommend a decent C of G balance that doesn't cost the earth?  Needs to work with a wide variety of models from 70" IC acro planes to EDF's and gliders (and be more accurate then my current finger and thumb 'that'll do' system 😂)

Advert

What I was suggesting is, the position of the fuel tank ( unless sited under the COG ) is important.  What about slightly nose heavy for takeoff when full of fuel and even allowing small amount of tail down as it lands to increase the ease of a flared landing.  Everything I have seen with the rigs suggests that there is an empirical balance point for bubble level and plumbline certification.  Perhaps this is why the real things pump the wet stuff round to alter the balance.

Edited by KenC

On 18/03/2023 at 14:29, KenC said:

What I was suggesting is, the position of the fuel tank ( unless sited under the COG ) is important.  What about slightly nose heavy for takeoff when full of fuel and even allowing small amount of tail down as it lands to increase the ease of a flared landing.  Everything I have seen with the rigs suggests that there is an empirical balance point for bubble level and plumbline certification.  Perhaps this is why the real things pump the wet stuff round to alter the balance.

Standard practice, get the COG empty. Fill it with fuel, fly, land.

If it lands early, not a problem, a bit dead on the elevator. Wring every last second out of the flight, run out of fuel, need to get it right, then you have not got to cope with a bucking bronco on the elevator. Simples.

PS, keep the tank near the motor. If you don’t the motor gets an uneven fuel delivery, centripetal forces (centrifugal forces in some vocabularies). And then it stops.

Edited by Don Fry