Give a thought to practical colour schemes for trainers

toto

Hi Simon,

I've had that chat with my instructor with regards to speed. I'm quite happy to have it doddle along giving me time to think an adjust if necessary.

I was going 5o say react but that is exactly what we hope we eont have to do. Forward thinking so that reacting is redundant in exchange for some forward planning and nice positive intended manouvres.

Yep .... you can keep speed for now. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Advert

As with all things in this game, it's a balancing act.

I think I've seen more issues from flying too slowly, than from too fast...... taking off too slowly, flying downwind too slowly, landing too slowly, turning too slowly, aerobatics with too slow an airspeed, hand launches too slowly.... Even some experienced fliers fly what I think is uncomfortably slowly, especially considering the type of aircraft.

We never stop learning!

Contrasting colours certainly helps. But anything which breaks up a bland, single colour will help.

It is also a good idea to have some bright flashes on the leading edge of the wings to help visibility when the model is flying towards you on landing approaches. 

You will be amazed at how well it works. 

The red "meatballs" and the yellow trim stand out really well on my Zero. . . No wonder they got shot down.. lol. 

Tibenham-28-05-21-47.thumb.jpg.c0e1b6dc346fef52e94f6a1b7f0e0d8e.jpg

• Like 1

Just a passing thought.

I will be taking two trainers with me this afternoon. One is the Seagull Boomerang, the other is the Keil Kraft Super Sixty. The wing area on each model is about the same but the Boomerang weighs between 5lbs 12ozs and 6lbs (2.6-2.8kgs) while the Super 60 weighs about 4lbs or 1.8kgs. Consequently the Super Sixty is capable of flying much more slowly than the Boomerang and I use it to give nervous retired beginners their first experience of radio controlled flight. Though mine is three channel, many modellers have added ailerons.

On the other hand the Boomerang is ideal for flying in a breeze and I use it as an advanced trainer once beginners have managed a few wobbly circuits with the Super Sixty.

As a completely different approach, I have on several occasions given a rank beginner their first flight on my 2 m electric F3A competition machine.  The aircraft is easy to see from both size and colour scheme and, with my normal aerobatic rates, extremely easy to control even for beginners.  Of course, I use a buddy lead so can let the student get into and out of difficult positions and I only occasionally had to take over unintentionally.

However, I'm not advocating using this type as trainers merely saying that a so called hot aerobatic aircraft of the F3A type are pussy cats to fly if they are properly set up.  That goes for almost all club aircraft but they need to be properly set up.  Too many have the CG in a poor location, almost all have too much control movement and often take to the skies without the pilot hzving the faintest idea of what they want to achieve - all potential recipies for at least a fright if not a disaster.

• Like 1