Spinners

Danny Fenton

I have been trying to find small spinners 30mm - 40mm for brushless motors. I have found some nice ali ones but not many shops seem to stock them. I have also found some rubber ones that push on the end of "bell" motors. A normal IC spinner has too large a centre hole for the 3mm shaft. Any suggestions? My 28" Tucano needs a spinner LOL

Advert

Danny

If you buy a collet or grub-screw adaptor for the shaft of the brushless motor, you can then use IC spinners - although these can be a bit on the heavy side - and you might end up with a spinner sits too far away from the firewall for your liking.

Puffin Models, or RobotBirds (or BRC hobbies, or AllelectricRC) should be able to sort you out with a spinner that includes a collet.

HTH

Alistair

Hi Alistair, that flies well LOL it is a bigger version than mine, thats described as 1000mm wingspan, mines only 700mm 2 servos and a controller. A friend has one and flew it last Saturday it was ballistic, and a dot in a nanosecond! You are right though the launch was pants!

I now use Graupner and Tornado spinners. The Tornado spinner is far cheaper than the German systems, appears to be good for the job. For blades I use Aeronaut and Graupner.

I have used blades from the far east, but after two catastrophic failures, do not use them on anything beyond 80W. They are very cheap though, spinner/hubs seem to work OK.

Tornado I get from Overlander
Graupner/Aeronaut from Gliders

Both next day delivery (std. post)

Regards Erfolg

Well I couldn't get a spinner to run true on the Tucano, so flew it with a collet/nut spinner, didn't look right on the ground but okay once at altitude. Flew a treat, used 85% expo and 1/4 up and down on the ailerons, and 1/8 on the elevator. It still rolled really niceley. Flew really smoothly on quarter - third throttle. Lands quick though :)

That sounds about right :o), particularly the rapid landings....

If you're having trouble centering the spinner back plate - put a ring of silicon (fuel) tubing over the prop driver spigot. It's not 100% precise but it has worked for me.

I guess you could also use one of the APC spacers that comes with the props.

Alistair

Hi Alistair Thanks for that, I tried the APC centreing spacers etc, the back plate of the spinner when centred doesn't run true, the other spinner, even the shaft isnt true when the collet is tightened up. The Alu Graupner ones (or clones) seem to be the best, I am waiting for one to arrive, its been on order for a while. If they aren't spot on the whole motor vibrates loose with the high Kv motors, rather unnerving!

• 2 years later...
I have a question regarding balancing spinners. How do you do it? 
I have a SLEC prop balancer and I can balance a backplate but not the spinner as a whole unit.  Recently I replaced a Multiplex foam spinner on my Mentor with a plastic variety ( the type with a couple of crosshead screws ) and during ground testing approaching full revs there was a horrible noise, the whole plane vibrated so much that the canopy hatch flew off. I shut down immediately, removed the spinner and tried again. Without the spinner there was no vibration. I've now refitted the foam spinner, not that it's necessary, but the model looks better with a spinner. So how do I balance the plastic one??

Bill